Warming, filling with just the right amount of spice – this M&S chilli con carne is a winter winner
Happy first day of winter! We know it’s been feeling fairly frosty for a few weeks already, but now that Halloween is past, we can truly embrace our wintry feelings and cosy up for the season. And what better way to kick it off than with a warming bowl of comfort food?
This chilli con carne comes courtesy of M&S, who have teamed up with Former World Young Chef of the Year and Forbes 30 Under 30 lister, Mark Moriarty to create the dish. It’s packed full of delicious and unique flavours, such as chipotle and fajita spice, and will definitely warm you up for the weekend.
You can pick up everything on the ingredients list in M&S.
- 1 pack M&S Irish beef mince
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 400g M&S easy cook rice
- 400ml cold water
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar Cook With M&S hot chipotle chilli paste
- 1 packet Cook With M&S fajita spice blend
- Fresh coriander
- Heat a large heavy based pan. Add some oil and colour the mince until dark brown and caramelised.
- Now add the diced onion and garlic and caramelise for 2 minutes.
- Add the fajita spice mix, half the jar of chipotle chilli paste and tomato puree.
- Cook this out for a further minute, before adding the chopped tinned tomatoes, and kidney beans.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow to stew for 30 minutes with a lid on, season with salt before serving.
- To cook the rice, wash under a cold tap for 2 minutes to remove excess starch. Place the rice in a pot with half the jar of chipotle paste and the cold water, season with salt and bring to the boil.
- Now reduce to a simmer, put a lid on, and cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is just tender, then fluff with a spoon and add the chopped coriander.
- Serve in warm bowls and enjoy!
Think your light-up Santa on the porch is good? Wait...
The perfect recipe for a Sunday lunch, with everything you...
This deceptively big townhouse in Skerries with four bedrooms and a two-bed mews is on the market for €875,000
Don’t let the sweet terrace exterior of this house for...
The popstar-turned-fashion designer has turned her hand to a curated...
Author Ruth Gilligan: ‘I have slowly colonised our flat’s small second bedroom into my writing space’
Sophie Grenham sits down with writer Ruth Gilligan to hear about her illustrious career to date, and the plans for book number six.
Whether it’s a new towel, a caddy to organise your skincare, or something to spruce up your sink, little details can make your bathroom feel more like a retreat.