22nd Aug 2021
These scrumptious lavender shortbread biscuits are the perfect way to welcome visitors for a Sunday catch up over a cup of tea.
Holly Farrell’s Lavender Shortbread
Shortbread is one of the simplest biscuits to make. The key to keeping it short – that is, crumbly and not tough – is not to over-mix the dough or overwork it when rolling out. For a stronger lavender hit, use more lavender flowers or lavender sugar in place of the caster sugar (simply add a teaspoon or two of flowers to a jam jar of sugar, seal, shake and leave to infuse).
Makes about 36 biscuits
You will need
1 or 2 – baking sheets, lined with baking paper
300g plain flour
100g caster sugar
2 tsp lavender flowers, finely chopped or ground
200g unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk, if needed
1 tsp lavender flowers
1 tsp caster sugar, for dusting
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl and stir in the lavender flowers. Add the butter and rub it into the mix by hand until it looks like breadcrumbs. Bring together into a single lump of dough, adding milk a drop or two at a time if necessary.
- Wrap in baking paper and chill for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a rectangle about 0.8cm/1?3in thick. Trim the edges, then cut out finger biscuits of 26cm.
- Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet(s). Stud 4 lavender flowers in the top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the shortbread is only very lightly coloured. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Dust with the sugar and leave to cool.
Serve as part of an afternoon tea, or for elevenses. This lavender shortbread will keep for up to a month in an airtight tin.
Extracted from Grow Your Own Cake: Recipes from Plot to Plate by Holly Farrell (Frances Lincoln, approx €10), out now. Photograph by Jason Ingram. For more, visit quartoknows.com
The Vow‘s nine parts tell the story of Nxivm, a community formed under the guise of self-help when really it...
ITV confirmed that Graham Norton’s debut novel ‘Holding’ will be made into a four-part series for the channel with filming...
If you find yourself fretting over striking the balance between an elegant arrangement and something that looks overly fussy, read on…
From velvet cushions to soft, fringed throws, there’s plenty of ways to cosy up your home this season.
Picking neutral paint is notoriously difficult. We ask four influential designers for their advice in pulling off calm hues, with...
Between Adele dropping new music and *that* test footage of Robin Williams, it’s been quite a weepy week on the...