With St Patrick's Day this week, there's no better time to whip up Avoca's chocolate and Guinness cake.
Rich in colour and flavour, this festive favourite is topped with a creamy frosting and a healthy dusting of cocoa powder. Slice, serve and sláinte!
Avoca’s chocolate and Guinness cake
- 250 mls Guinness stout
- 250g unslated butter
- 75g cocoa powder
- 400 g castar sugar
- 150ml sour cream or crème fraiche
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 275g plain flour
- 2.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 300g cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 125 mls heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4/180 degrees celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 23cm/9 inch cake tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large, wide saucepan, add the butter and heat until melted. Take off the heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar into the butter, Mix well.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and pour into the butter mixture. Finally sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until combined, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin, and bake for 45 mins to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin or on a cooling rack.
- Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve the icing sugar and corn flour and then beat to combine until light and fluffy.
- Add the cream to your desired consistency of frosting that you like.
- Spread the top of the cake with the delicious frosting. Enjoy!