13th Mar 2020
My own natural flush steered me away from blush for years, but then I discovered the best way to build on what I have going on naturally…
Blush was never something I thought I could wear. My cheeks, unfortunately for me, always look flushed – but not in the soft, organised way that someone with an even complexion wearing blusher looks. My cheeks? Ruddy. I look permanently embarrassed, with uneven dots of colour springing up all over my face like an updating heat map.
The colour is unreliable, sometimes puce, sometimes pink, sometimes even orange. I covered it up and avoided blush so as not to add to the situation. But I’ve had a glorious, blush-wearing last few years since I learned the tricks. Depending on the day, I’ll choose to either conceal my natural colour or embrace and work with it – both are fine.
If you’re not in the humour of working with your colour…
- Hydrate your skin really well first
- Use a green colour corrector targeted on the areas you get most colour
- Blend that well and follow with a warm-toned foundation (the green colour can sometimes wash out your normal skin)
- If needed, concealer on the area can provide extra coverage
- Lastly, I’d recommend using powder and then powder blush on top of all of that – you’ll have created a great base and can place the colour wherever you want it
If you want to work with your natural colour…
- Start with great hydration again – if you like, use a green-tinted moisturiser like this one from It Cosmetics
- Next use a medium coverage foundation to even out your skin
- Don’t powder just yet!
- If you can wait a few minutes to let your foundation settle in to see your natural colour coming through, do
- Then, use cream blush: I find that it melts in to your skin more easily and therefore looks more natural
- Less is more here – start with a small amount and look at yourself from all angles to see what the colour you’ve added looks like with the rest of your skin
The cream blushes I go back to time and again are:
Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Calypso Coral
Fenty Beauty Matchstix in Yacht Life
Nars Liquid Blush in Luster
Read more: The expert guide to AW19’s easiest beauty trend, healthy flush blush
Read more: Five sheer and dewy cream blushers for healthy, flushed skin
Read more: 5 Beautiful Blushers For Your Beauty Bag
Fenty Skin’s four product offering is a cleanser, toner-serum, an...
You might not be filled with love right now, or drowning in dates, but if anyone deserves a gift, a bit of attention and to feel a bit spoiled right now, it's you. These new little luxuries will pick you up and give you some much-needed indulgence.
Beauty ingenue Marie Kelly steps firmly out of her comfort...