Making your foundation last doesn’t have to mean changing to a long-wear one. If your favourite foundation isn’t particularly long-wearing, this tried and tested hack will see you through a big day…
My foundation used to disappear from my nose, my chin and my hairline before I’d even left the house. I was enraged, and I used to think, well, I didn’t spend €48 on this for it to be gone by the time I reach my destination.
I researched and found some great long-wear foundations, but I wanted MY favourite foundation to stay on. I liked it and I paid for it and I didn’t want to reinvest.
Of course, there are plenty of long-wear foundations that are incredibly good. Three I would recommend for their longevity alone are:
- Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation, €11.99, from Boots
- MAC Pro Longwear Foundation, €36.50 from Brown Thomas
- NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, €45, from Brown Thomas
The hack that works
I don’t know why anyone in their right mind would want foundation to last a full 24 hours. Your skin needs time to breathe! Wearing make-up overnight is a huge no-no. However, if you’re going to be at a wedding, getting made up at 9am and potentially still dancing the next morning, I will concede you need a long-wearing option.
Here’s what I do on days like that…
- Prep my skin well. Hydrate with hyaluronic acid and let skincare sink in.
- Skip primer — I don’t feel well-prepped skin needs it sometimes.
- Apply a thin layer of your fave foundation, leave it set.
- Move on to do brows or something similar, and then go back and do a second light layer.
- As you’re building coverage gently, it will dry down better.
- Next, apply a light layer of loose, translucent powder, followed by a spritz of setting spray.
- Then, do your eye make-up while that sets.
- Go in again with another light layer of powder followed by setting spray.
- Conceal and blush etc, and then do a third and final layer of powder and setting spray.
Your make-up will not budge. It won’t feel particularly weightless, of course, but it will stay and will still be the foundation shade and style you love.
Read more: Future Icon: My favourite SPF foundation just got even better
Read more: 8 excellent budget-friendly foundations for less than €20
Read more: Foundation hacks that will ensure an even more flawless finish
Cult niche perfume brand Le Labo just got a lot easier to buy.
Fenty Skin’s four product offering is a cleanser, toner-serum, an...
Planning a Netflix night in? Indulge yourself in a self-care...
When you can't get to the hairdresser, it's time for some hair dressing.
“The hair look really was inspired by the early 90s,” says Victoria Beckham. “I like the idea of quite heavy hair, heavy fringes, that hair that looks like it’s been slept in a little bit, with a little bit of a bend in it.” Here’s how to recreate the lived-in luxe look from her AW21 show.
Remember to take a few minutes to treat yourself. These...