People might not be able to get to Sligo’s Baker Boys Cafe at the moment, so owner Jane Lambert has shared this easy recipe for making Chocolate Bircher with caramel crack to make at home.
Baker Boys is owned and operated by Jane and Myles Lamberth, the creators of Strandhill’s Shells Café and Baker Boys feels like “Shells’ urban cousin,” says Jane.
Baker Boys has a dedicated bakery on-site. Jane says, “we bake five different types of bread each morning so customers can expect sumptuous in-house baking. The core ethos of Baker Boys is to delight, with a fresh modern style of interiors and food as well as offering a social, fun and inviting space to take a break from the daily working grind. With the grab-and-go type of diner in mind, Baker Boys deli offers awesome barista-prepared coffee, fresh salads, home roast–on-a-roll and a lot more besides.”
Early risers will be treated to home-bakes, breads and scones that are still warm and waiting to be eaten. And even better Baker Boys has bread loyalty cards. Rejoice!
Chocolate bircher with caramel crack
250g (8,8oz) almond milk
1 ripe banana, roughly chopped
1?2 tbsp cocoa powder (over 70% cocoa)
10g (0,3oz) dark chocolate (over 70% cocoa)
20g (0,70oz) dates, chopped
15g (0,70oz.) brown sugar
- Place all the ingredients apart from oats in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the oats and stir well.
- Leave to soak in a container in the fridge for a minimum 6hr. (Add more almond milk if needed).
- Pour the mixture into a wide shallow serving bowl, sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on top. Place under a hot grill to melt the sugar ‘creme brulee style’ or even better if you have a blow torch you can melt the sugar with an open flame.
- Rest until sugar has hardened.
- Finished it with fresh fruit.
- Tap the top to ‘crack’ into it.
Related: Healthy after-school treats: frozen yoghurt bark
Related: 6 of the most popular recipes on IMAGE.ie to try this week
Related: Your healthy start to the week: aubergine & pomegranate salad