Chef Shane Smith’s secret to seasoning the perfect Christmas turkey
23rd Dec 2020
When it comes to making a flavourful turkey this Christmas, it’s all about the seasoning. Don’t settle for the usual thyme and garlic. If you want your bird to stand out, brush it with Chef Shane Smith’s spiced clementine butter, infused with anise, cloves and clementine zest.
Spiced Clementine Butter
- 454g Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 4 Whole Star Anise (2 tsp ground)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Whole Cloves (1 tsp ground)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Zest of 2 Clementines
- Begin by placing the Kerrygold butter, salt and clementine zest into a bowl.
- Next, in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar, crush up the black pepper, star anise and cloves and add this to the butter mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon or hand mixer, beat the butter until all of the ingredients are well incorporated and the butter is soft.
- If you are going to use the butter straight away, spread the butter under the skin of the turkey before you cook it in the oven. Keep some back to brush over the turkey as it bakes to give a beautiful fragrant orange spice flavour to the turkey meat.
- If you would like to give the flavoured butter as a gift, place a spoonful of the spiced butter onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and roll the paper to look like a Christmas cracker. Secure each end with some string or ribbon and place in the fridge until you are ready to give it as a gift.
For the next few weeks, we’ll be releasing new Christmas recipes – each created by Kerrygold and renowned pastry chef Shane Smith. Follow along and learn how to bake delicious cakes, pies and edible gifts.
Read more: Need some holiday recipe inspiration? These gourmet, Christmas treats are easy to make at home
Read more: Pastry chef’s home baking: Shane Smith’s jam drop cookies recipe
Read more: Spice up your midweek meal with a Danish take on mushroom risotto
We’ve been eyeing up these Irish AirBnb cabins that will...
These Scandinavian cinnamon buns are the perfect breakfast treat. Make the night before and enjoy with coffee in the morning.
Amanda Cochrane finds out how Irish design duo Foreign Bear Studio came to personify London Hackney cool with their courtyard home.
New year, new… Netflix programmes to enjoy as we wait...
Jennifer McShane looks back at some of her recent favourite...
This five-bedroom house with sea views, an indoor swimming pool,...
Bright tones, neat storage solutions and even the promise of outdoor picnics - this new collection is providing the mental holiday we needed today