Chef Shane Smith’s secret to seasoning the perfect Christmas turkey
23rd Dec 2020
When it comes to making a flavourful turkey this Christmas, it’s all about the seasoning. Don’t settle for the usual thyme and garlic. If you want your bird to stand out, brush it with Chef Shane Smith’s spiced clementine butter, infused with anise, cloves and clementine zest.
Spiced Clementine Butter
- 454g Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 4 Whole Star Anise (2 tsp ground)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Whole Cloves (1 tsp ground)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Zest of 2 Clementines
- Begin by placing the Kerrygold butter, salt and clementine zest into a bowl.
- Next, in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar, crush up the black pepper, star anise and cloves and add this to the butter mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon or hand mixer, beat the butter until all of the ingredients are well incorporated and the butter is soft.
- If you are going to use the butter straight away, spread the butter under the skin of the turkey before you cook it in the oven. Keep some back to brush over the turkey as it bakes to give a beautiful fragrant orange spice flavour to the turkey meat.
- If you would like to give the flavoured butter as a gift, place a spoonful of the spiced butter onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and roll the paper to look like a Christmas cracker. Secure each end with some string or ribbon and place in the fridge until you are ready to give it as a gift.
For the next few weeks, we’ll be releasing new Christmas recipes – each created by Kerrygold and renowned pastry chef Shane Smith. Follow along and learn how to bake delicious cakes, pies and edible gifts.
Read more: Need some holiday recipe inspiration? These gourmet, Christmas treats are easy to make at home
Read more: Pastry chef’s home baking: Shane Smith’s jam drop cookies recipe
Read more: Spice up your midweek meal with a Danish take on mushroom risotto
A super-easy comforting midweek supper, midnight snack or brunch option,...
Covering a mind-boggling 10,570 square feet, you could imagine getting lost in this grand, sprawling home.
Netflix has a large line-up of original content lined up...
Underrated ‘Friends’ episodes that guarantee a laugh = necessary weekend...
The Vow‘s nine parts tell the story of Nxivm, a...
A garden room in Dublin 9 bridges the gap to...
The streaming giant has finally confirmed a June release date...