With less than a week to go until one of the most coveted fashion events in the country, Kilkenny, sponsor of the Kilkenny Best Dressed Lady Competition, have put together the ultimate racing Style Guide.
With prizes for the Kilkenny Best Dressed, Kilkenny Best Irish Design and Kilkenny Best Hat including a shopping voucher at Kilkenny, a luxury 5* break from Bluebook Ireland, a new wardrobe by Aideen Bodkin, Maureen Lynch jewellery, haircare by Peter Mark, bespoke Waterford Crystal and luxury Lancôme cosmetics from University Pharmacy Galway, the style stakes are seriously high for this year’s Ladies Day at the Galway Races.
Kilkenny, promoters of Irish design for over 52 years, are very excited to see ladies from Galway and indeed all over the country turn out in style for this year’s Ladies’ Day festivities at the Galway Races. Kilkenny has 13 stores located nationwide, as well as a local outlet on High St Galway, where you can shop the latest fashion and accessory arrivals for your race-day look from leading Irish labels like Fee G, Aideen Bodkin, Niamh O’Neill, Caroline Kilkenny, Luke Lovely, Orla Kiely and NEW exclusive label Dresses by Aideen! Visit kilkennyshop.com for more information or to shop accessories online, with free delivery on orders over €40.
RTE presenter Maura Derrane will be Kilkenny’s Guest Judge for the Kilkenny Best Dressed Lady Competition on July 30th and will be joined by some of the crème de la crème of the Irish fashion industry to seek out the Best Dressed Lady, including Irish Independent Fashion & Weekend Magazine Editor Bairbre Power, Catwalk Model Agency owner Mandy Maher and of course, Image’s own Editor-in-Chief Melanie Morris.
If you’re putting the final touches to your Ladies’ Day plans, we have put together a checklist with some last minute tips and tricks to help you make the most of your Ladies’ Day experience on July 30th.
- Prepare your skin a few days before the Races with a good scrub to remove any dead skin cells and make sure to pop on plenty of moisturiser for glowing skin!
- Make sure you have your transport to and from the races booked or planned in advance – thousands are expected for Ladies’ Day and the last thing you want is to spend hours stuck in traffic and to miss being spotted by the Kilkenny judges!
- If you have salon appointments booked for the morning of the Races, phone the salons a few days beforehand to re-confirm your bookings and times to avoid any potential mix-ups or double bookings on the day!
- Remember it’s a long day so make sure you wear comfortable shoes! Have a pair of flat shoes in your handbag as a back-up but whatever you do, make sure you have worn your heels in in advance of the day.
- Try on your entire outfit a few days before the Races – including your underwear! By doing this, you will be able to make any necessary adjustments and avoid any last minute panic on the morning of the big event!
- Don’t ignore your nails and toenails! The Kilkenny Best Dressed Lady needs to be polished top to toe, literally!
- Try to avoid turning up orange! Make sure you have trialled your tan a few days beforehand or go to a good salon to have a professional apply it.
- Most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy yourself! Ladies Day at the Galway Races is a great day out with friends so make sure you soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the festivities!