A belted bag isn’t just for millennial women: here’s how to wear one at any age
10th Sep 2023
No, they won’t carry your laptop or iPad, but for those days when you can travel light and want to be hands-free, a belt bag is just the thing.
Practical and smart, they’ll also shape your silhouette beautifully. A far cry from those old-style canvas “bum bags”, today’s belt bag is a thing of beauty.
Expert Advice: Marietta Doran, fashion stylist, personal shopper and image consultant
1. Every woman should have the following staples in her workwear wardrobe: a crisp white shirt, a turtleneck (knit or cotton), cardigan, blazer to be paired with a dress, trousers or skirt, and a good wool camel coat.
2. Accessories are key to completing the look, so invest in a tan belt, tan shoes (pumps, kitten and high-heeled), and a tan bag – these matching accessories will complete the look.
3. This season, soft tailoring in light wools and check fabrics offer a softer look. Knitwear in earthy autumnal colour palettes will inject colour into your winter workwear wardrobe.
4. Turtlenecks are very much on trend – they look great worn beneath dresses and tops and will give your look a high-end finish. I’m loving the workwear collections from Cos and & Other Stories – they’re stylish, professional and chic.
5. I think Helen McAlinden is one of Ireland’s leading designers for working women, while Max Mara is the perfect brand for women who favour a more suited look. I also like to mix high street with high end – Massimo Dutti and Zara both stock great pieces that will mix superbly with your working attire.
This article originally appeared in the October 2018 issue of IMAGE Magazine.
Photography by Jason Lloyd Evans.