A belted bag isn’t just for millennial women: here’s how to wear one at any age
No, they won’t carry your laptop or iPad, but for those days when you can travel light and want to be hands-free, a belt bag is just the thing. Practical and smart, they’ll also shape your silhouette beautifully. A far cry from those old-style canvas “bum bags”, today’s belt bag is a thing of beauty.
Expert Advice: Marietta Doran, fashion stylist, personal shopper and image consultant
1. Every woman should have the following staples in her workwear wardrobe: a crisp white shirt, a turtleneck (knit or cotton), cardigan, blazer to be paired with a dress, trousers or skirt, and a good wool camel coat.
2. Accessories are key to completing the look, so invest in a tan belt, tan shoes (pumps, kitten and high-heeled), and a tan bag – these matching accessories will complete the look.
3. This season, soft tailoring in light wools and check fabrics offers a softer look. Knitwear in earthy autumnal colour palettes will inject colour into your winter workwear wardrobe.
4. Turtlenecks are very much on trend this season – they look great worn beneath dresses and tops and will give your look a high-end finish. I’m loving the new workwear collections from Cos and & Other Stories – they’re stylish, professional and chic.
5. I think Helen McAlinden is one of Ireland’s leading designers for working women, while Max Mara is the perfect brand for women who favour a more suited look. I also like to mix high street with high end – Massimo Dutti and Zara both stock great pieces that will mix superbly with your working attire.
Black leather belt bag, €59 at Cos, white embossed belt bag, €29.95 at Zara, grey mini belt bag, €33 at River Island, Deon suede belt bag, Boyy, €540 at net-a-porter.com
This article originally appeared in the October issue of IMAGE Magazine