A belted bag isn’t just for millennial women: here’s how to wear one at any age
11th Nov 2018
No, they won’t carry your laptop or iPad, but for those days when you can travel light and want to be hands-free, a belt bag is just the thing. Practical and smart, they’ll also shape your silhouette beautifully. A far cry from those old-style canvas “bum bags”, today’s belt bag is a thing of beauty.
Expert Advice: Marietta Doran, fashion stylist, personal shopper and image consultant
1. Every woman should have the following staples in her workwear wardrobe: a crisp white shirt, a turtleneck (knit or cotton), cardigan, blazer to be paired with a dress, trousers or skirt, and a good wool camel coat.
2. Accessories are key to completing the look, so invest in a tan belt, tan shoes (pumps, kitten and high-heeled), and a tan bag – these matching accessories will complete the look.
3. This season, soft tailoring in light wools and check fabrics offers a softer look. Knitwear in earthy autumnal colour palettes will inject colour into your winter workwear wardrobe.
4. Turtlenecks are very much on trend this season – they look great worn beneath dresses and tops and will give your look a high-end finish. I’m loving the new workwear collections from Cos and & Other Stories – they’re stylish, professional and chic.
5. I think Helen McAlinden is one of Ireland’s leading designers for working women, while Max Mara is the perfect brand for women who favour a more suited look. I also like to mix high street with high end – Massimo Dutti and Zara both stock great pieces that will mix superbly with your working attire.
Black leather belt bag, €59 at Cos, white embossed belt bag, €29.95 at Zara, grey mini belt bag, €33 at River Island, Deon suede belt bag, Boyy, €540 at net-a-porter.com
This article originally appeared in the October issue of IMAGE Magazine
Will the future see us unifying elements of our humanity rather than the distinctions of gender?
Get in, we’re going shopping: Laura Whitmore makes a convincing case in favour of the pyjamas-as-clothes debate
Pyjamas as actual clothes? Count us in. As Laura Whitmore...
If months at home has left you wondering how you ever put an outfit together, you’re not alone — enter these easy to wear jumpsuits
Hunza G, the one-size-fits-all crinkled sustainable swimwear beloved by Hailey Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and more has landed in Brown Thomas.
This June, a showcase of some of the most famous...