12th Feb 2018
Whether you’re lashing it on for a romantic date night, or heading out for a Galentine’s meal with the girls, you can’t deny that red is the perfect colour to wear this February 14. Trying to draw attention away from your not-so-matchy brows? Red lipstick. Want to show the world you’re a confident, independent woman? You guessed it, red lippy.
Whether you opt for matte or glossy, deep or bright, a splash of red can update your entire look instantly – from Chanel’s smooth Coco Stylo to MAC’s high-impact Ruby Woo, once you find a shade you love, you’ll never look back. There’s a shade for every skin tone, from blue-based shades to bright orange-toned hues, so explore what’s on offer before you take your final pick. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice at the make-up counter either – make-up artists know their shades inside out, so make the most of their expertise.
With all that in mind, here are nine rosy shades we absolutely love:
- MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo, €20, is perhaps the most famous red lipstick of them all. The much-loved shade is extra matte, extra red and lasts the whole night long. If you’re finding application tricky, coat your lips with a thin layer of lip balm to ensure it goes on as smoothly as possible.
This Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick in Love Bite, €32, is what Valentine’s lips are made of. Its antioxidant formula protects your lips from UV damage and external pollution, while the careful blend of waxes and pigments gives your pout a sexy, lasting colour.
- Tom Ford lip colour in Cherry Lush, €49, is dramatic, highly-pigmented and lasts all night long. Its warm, orange tones are beautiful and particularly stands out on sallow skin. Avoid wearing heavy eye make-up for maximum impact.
- Huda Beauty’s liquid lipstick in Cheerleader, €21, is perfect for anyone with dry lips. Its lightweight formula is infused with antioxidants to help maintain your lips’ hydration. A little goes a long way with this one, so be sure to only apply a thin coat. It’s also non-transferable – so there’s no risk of getting lipstick on his collar!
We love this one for its all-in-one formula. Chanel’s Rouge Coco Stylo, €35, has the intensity of a lipstick, the shine of a lip gloss and the comfort of a lip balm. Its ingredients include a nourishing Apple Seed Extract and hydrating jojoba oil and coconut oil to leave you feeling silky smooth all from morning to night. Irresistible, don’t you think?
- Bobbi Brown’s Art Stick in Harlow Red, €27, acts as both a liner and lipstick in one, which means precise application and gorgeous red hues in one quick swoop. This is a handy one to keep in your bag for top-ups on the go.
- Estee Lauder’s Pure Colour Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Decisive Poppy, €32, has a sumptuously smooth formula. Don’t be deceived by how lightweight it is. It has an almost gel-like consistency, but delivers full colour in a single stroke. This shade suits almost everyone, and the bullet is shaped to sculpt the curves of your lips.
- Yves Saint Laurent Vernis À Lèvres Vinyl Cream Liquid Lipstick in Burgundy Vibes, €33, is a high coverage liquid lippy for daring shine, comfort, and coverage for up to ten hours. The diamond-shaped applicator makes lip contouring a breeze, and you can use the point of the diamond as a lip liner before and colouring in. Plus, that deep, red shade is to die for!
- This one is for the braver of women who like their reds as dark as their chocolate. L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Matte Addiction lipstick in Mon Jules, €10.49, is packed with pure pigments for bold, vivid colour. While it’s matte, it isn’t drying, so you can top up without needing a coat of lip balm underneath.Have you spotted one you like?
Rubbish at doing your nails? Nail you nail art every time with nail stickers.
How Rodial CEO and founder Maria Hatzistefanis is spending this time in lockdown.
Apart from the six-week check-up with our GP after birth...