Christmas is still a few weeks away, but festive baking should be an all-year thing if you ask us.
Cosy up by the fire this Christmas with some homemade Gingerbread cookies and a steaming cup of hot chocolate. This is one treat that Santa Claus and the family are sure to enjoy too!
Siúcra’s Gingerbread Cookies
- 125g butter, softened
- 100g Siúcra Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
For the icing:
- 1 egg white
- 150g Siúcra Icing Sugar, sifted
- In a bowl, cream the butter and Siúcra brown sugar together. Add the golden syrup and egg and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine thoroughly. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170?C/150?C fan/gas mark 3. Remove the dough from the fridge and knead on a well-floured work surface until just soft.
- Roll out to ½cm thick and cut into desired shapes using a biscuit cutter. Place on three large parchment paper lined baking trays. (Bake two trays at a time in the oven)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave the biscuits to cool on the baking tray for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the Siúcra icing, beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until stiff.
- Transfer the icing into a piping bag (or a plastic bag with a small corner snipped off) and decorate your cooled biscuits to your liking.
Top Tip: Use the pointed end of a wooden skewer or cocktail stick to fix or shape any icing mishaps.
Visit Nordzucker Ireland for more recipes, inspiration and top tips for cooking and baking.