The whole family will love this towering Christmas cake with salted caramel icing
27th Dec 2020
Part of our Kerrygold Christmas recipe series, this festive cake is the perfect holiday treat. It’s made of eight layers, each flavoured with pumpkin and ginger and covered with salted caramel icing, so there’s plenty of Christmas goodness to share with the whole family.
Festive Pumpkin and Ginger Cake with Salted Caramel Icing
For the cake
- 500g Self-Raising Flour
- 500g Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 500g Golden Castor Sugar
- 8 Whole Free-Range Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 can of Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
For the icing
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 250g Kerrygold Salted Butter, Softened
- 50g Ready-Made Salted Caramel
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line and grease 4 cake tins.
- In a stand mixer, add all the cake ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Share the mixture out between the 4 cake tins and place into the oven.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Take them out of the oven and leave to cool completely.
- In the same clean mixer, now add all the icing ingredients and whisk again until smooth and spreadable.
- Take each cake and slice through the middle of each, creating 8 cake layers in total.
- Start icing each cake and build up on your chosen plate, leaving you with a tower of cakes!
- With the remaining icing, cover the whole cake but leave a few gaps showing – this is called nude icing.
- Decorate as you wish, perhaps with a flourish of icing sugar.
For the next few weeks, we’ll be releasing new Christmas recipes – each created by Kerrygold. Follow along and learn how to bake delicious cakes, pies and edible gifts.
Read more: Need some holiday recipe inspiration? These gourmet, Christmas treats are easy to make at home
Read more: Pastry chef’s home baking: Shane Smith’s jam drop cookies recipe
Read more: Spice up your midweek meal with a Danish take on mushroom risotto
As well as the building which has stayed true to its original style, we’d love to spend sunny evenings in the beautiful garden.
One of Galway City's most desirable period properties, this terraced house for sale boasts period features, glorious gardens and a self-contained coach house.
What happens when ridiculously talented wedding planner Kate O’Dowd of...
For too many years, too little was done in Ireland...
Support Irish spirit makers with two Irish craft cocktails to...