Supper Club: Moroccan-style lamb tagine with root vegetable couscous
Spice up your autumn dinner dishes with Avoca's Moroccan-style lamb tagine paired with root vegetable couscous.
This perfect pairing is a delicious dish, packed with rich flavours and aromas and is sure please after a cold day.
Moroccan-style lamb tagine paired with root vegetable couscous
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Quarter teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons well-seasoned flour
- Avoca Butcher 1kg leg of lamb, diced
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli
- 6cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped, stalks finely chopped
- 1 dessertspoon treacle
- Handful of goof quality sultanas
- Half 400g tin of tomatoes
- 50g flaked almonds
- 250g couscous
- 400g finely diced carrot, parsnip, and turnip
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4.
- Mix all the dry spices together with a teaspoon of ground black pepper and the seasoned flour.
- Toss the meat in this mixture and brown in batches in the oil so it’s nicely browned.
- Gently sauté the onion in 4 tablespoons of oil in an ovenproof casserole for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and coriander sticks, toss so they are well coated in the oil and add in the lamb.
- Barely cover with water and add the treacle, sultanas and tomatoes. Bring to the boil
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour until cooked.
- Check halfway through cooking; you may need to add a little more water.
- Toast the flaked almonds in the top of the oven until golden.
- Cook the couscous according to the instructions on the packet.
- Blanch the root vegetables in boiling salted water until just tender, drain and combine with the cooked couscous.
- Scatter the almonds over the tagine and serve with the couscous.