Supper Club: This salt and pepper squid is everything we want tonight
This recipe, using spicy, citrusy Sansho pepper, is my spin on the ever-popular salt and pepper prawns. Dip the squid into the spiced mayo and enjoy.
Salt and pepper squid with Sansho spicy dip
- ½ tsp ground Sansho pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 65g rice flour
- 450g squid, cleaned and sliced
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the Sansho Spicy Dip
- 115g good-quality mayonnaise
- 5g Vietnamese or regular basil leaves
- ½ tsp Sansho pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- To make the dip, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl mix together the Sansho pepper, salt and rice flour. Put the squid in another bowl and pour over the lemon juice.
- Pour enough oil to come halfway up a large saucepan, then place over a medium-high heat until the oil starts to simmer.
- Take a few pieces of squid at a time and toss in the flour mixture to coat. Working in batches, deep-fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.
- Pile the cooked squid in a shallow bowl and serve with the dip.
Extracted from Salt & Pepper by Valerie Aikman-Smith (Ryland Peters & Small). Photography © Ryland Peters & Small.