Image / Living / Food & Drink
Supper Club: Egg, asparagus, spinach and quinoa bowl
Nourishing quinoa bowls are all the rage right now, they're healthy, delicious and super-easy, they make the perfect supper and are loaded with energy and nutrients.
08th Mar 2023
Egg, asparagus, spinach and black quinoa bowl
- 1 egg
- 100g asparagus
- handful of samphire
- large handful of baby spinach
- black quinoa
- handful of radishes
For the mustard olive oil dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lime juice or balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook 40g black quinoa in plenty of water for 20 minutes, then drain and return to the pan. Cover with a tea towel and the lid and leave to sit for 10 minutes. Add to a mixing bowl.
- Snap off the woody ends of a handful of asparagus spears (about 100g), chop into 5cm lengths and cut any that are thick in half lengthways. Rinse a good handful of samphire. Blanch the asparagus for 30 seconds in a pan of boiling water, then drain.
- Heat a pan or wok and add a little butter. Once hot, add the drained asparagus and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the samphire. Cook for a couple of minutes more, then tip into the mixing bowl.
- Add an egg in its shell to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 9 minutes. Cool under running water, then peel, chop and add to the mixing bowl with a large handful of shredded baby spinach.
- Finely slice a handful of mixed radishes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix together 1 tsp Dijon mustard and 2 tbsp lime juice or balsamic vinegar, 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and plenty of seasoning. Add 2 tbsp to the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix through, adding more if needed and serve.
Extracted from Nourish Bowls: Simple and Nutritious Balanced Meals in a Bowl (Quadrille). Photographs by Issy Croker.