This is a pasta bake the whole family will love with its easy ingredients, one-pot serving, and low-calorie count.
Ireland has a love affair with chicken. Chicken is a quick and easy protein choice, but make sure it doesn’t take over from other protein options. Although chicken is often looked on as a cheap option, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. When possible, choose local, outdoor-reared/free-range chicken for the best quality. A great family favourite!
Chicken and Chorizo Pasta Bake
- 200g wholewheat penne pasta
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 sweet pointer pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 350g chicken breast, chopped into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 90g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 – 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- bunch of basil, chopped, or 3 tsp dried basil
- 100g chorizo, sliced
1 Preheat oven to 200?C/gas mark 6. Put the penne pasta in a pot with plenty of water and cook for about 10 minutes until slightly underdone.
2 Place all the vegetables in an ovenproof dish. Add the chicken, pesto, sundried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, basil and chorizo. Stir in the cooked pasta.
3 Cover and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
4 Remove the cover and cook for a further 10 minutes for a crispy top.
Extracted from The Plan: Eat Well, Lose Weight, Transform Your Life by Aoife Hearne (Gill Books, €19.99), out now. Photograph by Joanne Murphy.