Image / Living / Food & Drink
What to make this weekend: 3-Step LUSH (and healthy) carrot cake pancakes for the brunch of your dreams
Carrot Cake Pancakes that are delish AND (pretty) good for you sounds like an oxymoron, but one bite of these beauties will make you believe in miracles
Okay, it may not be quite a miracle – we could probably smoother an old shoe in the mascarpone and it’d taste pretty good, but still, a dish that marries breakfast with cake is nothing short of heaven. Also, this recipe has very little refined satan – ahem, sugar – which is a nice little bonus too, perfect for a day-long smugathon… until you dive into that takeaway later at least.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 2 egg whites
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 small-medium carrot, finely grated
- 30g pecans, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 60g buckwheat flour
- A pinch of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons milk or almond milk
- A little coconut oil for frying
- 4 generous tablespoons mascarpone
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A drizzle of honey
- Orange zest to serve
- Using a fork, whisk the egg whites and mashed banana until well combined and slightly frothy. Whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, grated carrot, half the pecans, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in the milk to thin the batter then heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and spoon in small amounts of the batter. Cook like regular pancakes, flipping halfway through.
- Mix the mascarpone with the lemon juice and honey, adjusting the amounts to your taste. Assemble the pancakes by placing one on a dish with a dollop of mascarpone on top. Add another pancake and top with a little more mascarpone then sprinkle over the remaining pecans and a little orange zest.