Don’t be swayed by faddy home accessories sales, now is the time to invest in a comfy carpet
31st Jan 2019
January is almost up, but it’s still dark and grey outside, with no sign of a weather let up until at least March. You’ve finally worked your way through the remnants of the Christmas chocolate, and now that your January pay cheque is FINALLY here, it’s time to cheer you and your home up a little bit.
With so many sales on at the minute, it can be easy to get distracted by that stunning armchair that you have no room for or that glitzy lamp that doesn’t work with anything else you own. This is time of year that’s perfect to invest in flooring. A good underlay and plush carpet underfoot will not only keep your home toasty all through the winter, but it’ll also add a level of texture and comfort to your space that is guaranteed to make evenings of lounging around a real treat.
TC Matthews is offering free underlay on nearly all of their stock carpets in their winter sale, so you can hibernate until spring in total luxury – and for a really good price too. To coincide, we’re shining a light on some of our favourite comfy carpets.
- Check is having a serious revival in fashion at the moment, so expect it to creep into interiors over the coming seasons. Get ahead of the trend with this heritage pattern with a zesty modern twist, pictured above. 100 per cent wool Brinton’s tartan carpet in Kensington, comes with free underlay, as well as 50 per cent off at €54.95 per yard.
2. This Castlemeade twist carpet has been coordinated beautifully here with Little Greene’s Dark Grey paint. Who said layers of grey is too cold? Adam’s Castlemead Cool Grey, €44.95 per yard.
3. If texture is what you’re looking for, look to ribbed lines, which give an added sense of space. Raschel Woven Wiltons carpet made of 100 per cent wool, and are less than half price, at €39.95 per yard, plus free underlay.
4. Dark carpets might seem like a brave choice but, as well as hiding all manner of sins, they can give a room an edge and they’re an ideal base to layer on some contrasting colours. Brintons True Velvet wool, €66.75 per yard, plus free underlay.
5. Add warmth without the clash with a neutrally toned carpet with a mix of thread shades. Sensation Supreme carpet, €22.75 per yard, plus free underlay.
6. Moving away from chilly blues, browns and reds are making a come back and we’re thrilled about it, particularly in this super-soft carpet that combines the luxury of velvet and the practicality of twisted yarn. Briton’s Finepoint, €36.95, with free underlay.
7. Great for a home office, this 80 per cent wool carpet had a professional finish, while also being soft on bare feet for those working in pyjama days. Briton’s Bell Twist 80 per cent wool, €45.95 per yard, plus free underlay.
TC Matthews‘ winter sales continues through February with loads of great deals, including reductions in carpet, free underlay and 20 per cent off all rugs. Check online and in store for more.
Emerging after the pandemic: ‘There’s an awkwardness to my interactions, like I’ve forgotten how to socialise’
In just a few months, human contact became one of...
This is a perfect lunch recipe, and the harissa does...
Following the utterly devastating trial of his wife Deirdre last...
Do you find yourself talking about how busy and stressed...