22nd Oct 2018
Melanie Morris shares the most effective products and solutions for home hairstyling at salon-quality standards.
This month, ghd introduces Oracle, a new tool to make curling as easy as straightening, creating long-lasting curls on all hair types, in just one stroke. “So many of my clients struggle to curl their hair,” says Adam Reed, founder of Percy & Reed and ghd global brand ambassador. “Now, there’s no more wrapping or rolling hair – for the first time ever, you can create the perfect curl at home, in just one glide.”
Get the look
1. Spritz clean, dry hair with heat protectant spray.
2. Place a section of hair in Oracle, holding the tool horizontally.
3. Rotate Oracle 90 degrees and slowly glide away from the head. Release hair.
4 Work around the head until complete, shake hair out and spritz with spray.
Adam adds, “Change the direction, angle, and speed of Oracle as you style, to vary contact with the curl zone and create different types of curls and waves.”
Things to remember
- Listen to your hairstylist in the same way that you’d listen to your doctor. They are professionals – they know their stuff. Ask them for tips. Ask them all the questions. It makes for far more useful conversation than holiday plans.
- If you keep doing what you have been doing, you’ll get the same result. So, if you don’t like the way you blow-dry/pin/curl your hair, learn a new, better way to do it.
- Ask your stylist to clearly explain to you, step-by-step, what they are doing with your hair next time you have an appointment. Then try to recreate it at home soon, before you’ve forgotten the pro tips.
- Watch what other stylists are doing for other clients, and what products they’re using.
- If using heated styling tools at home (and this includes your basic home hairdryer), always use heat protectant spray, regardless of how “good for your hair” you may be told the tool might be.
- Like any other style advice, don’t ‘debut’ a new hairdo ten minutes before the taxi is due.
- Experiment with temporary transformations, like clip-in hair pieces, wash-out colour, or braids.
- Try everything once. If you don’t like it, move on. Except perming – don’t do that.
Photo: Jason Lloyd-Evans
This article first appeared in the October issue of IMAGE magazine, on shelves now.
Journalist and podcaster Pandora Sykes shares her beauty must-haves with...
Let the revival of hair claws be a reminder to you that no matter how tired you find an accessory, the cyclical nature of fashion will one day make you wish you’d never thrown it out.
Celebrity hairstylists Larry King, Adam Reed and Luke Hersheson on the trending hairstyles, cuts and colours to know and consider for your long-awaited hair appointment.
The luxury hamper includes fragrance-free creams, cleansers and serums, all...