You can pick up jars of artichoke hearts in the supermarket. I always think they feel a bit special and exotic, so make the perfect star ingredient for creating a stunning vegan paella.
To make 1 portion
- ½ onion, diced1 garlic clove, sliced
- ½ red pepper, roughly sliced
- handful of arborio rice
- pinch of turmeric
- kettle of boiling water
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- small handful of frozen peas
- a few pieces of artichoke heart from a jar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Pan-fry the onion in a splash of olive oil over a medium heat for a few minutes until softened, then add the garlic and fry for a few more minutes. Just before the garlic starts to brown, add the red pepper, arborio rice and turmeric, and season with salt and pepper. Stir for 1 minute to coat the rice in the oil and turmeric, then add 100ml of the boiling water and crumble in the stock cube. Stir continuously while the water simmers and gets absorbed by the rice, gradually adding more water (100ml at a time – you will need about 400ml in total), until the rice is tender and cooked – it should take about 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the frozen peas and cook for about 3 minutes, then stir in the pieces of artichoke. Remove from the heat, season to taste and serve.
Extracted from Vegan One Pound Meals by Miguel Barclay.