Soup season is finally here, and Avoca has the perfect recipe to warm up after a day in the cold.
This Tuscan bean soup is sure to go down a treat with the whole family. Serve it up with a slice of fresh sourdough and enjoy!
Hearty Tuscan bean soup
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 celery sticks, finely diced
2 large carrots, finely diced
75g/3oz streaky bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1.2 litres / 2 pints vegetable stock
3x400g/14oz cans of chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
A pinch of sugar
110g/4oz canned cannellini beans, drained and well rinsed
1 dessertspoon oregano
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the celery, carrots and bacon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the stock and the tomatoes.
- Season well, adding the bay leaf and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked but still al dente.
- Stir in the beans and oregano and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve with croutons. You can also add some pesto on top perhaps for additional flavours.