One of the things many of us have been doing more of during this pandemic is cooking. But, if you want to opt-out of queuing to get your food shop for an extra day, it's always handy to have a recipe that can be made using the bulk of what we have in our cupboards already. This Kidney Bean Curry (or Rajma Masala) by award-winning food stylist Shilpa Razniewska of @Soulful_and_Healthy is utterly delicious, and so simple to prepare
What you need:
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (or you can use freshly chopped)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 clove of garlic finely grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable oil (or use 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil)
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped (optional)
- Cooked basmati rice to serve
- Salt to taste
How to prepare:
- In a non-stick pan, add the oil or butter, once the oil is hot (medium heat), add the onion and saute? for two mins until brown but not burnt.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for 30 seconds. (Skip this if using powdered ginger and garlic, you can add it along with the rest of the spices)
- Add the chopped or tinned tomatoes, let the tomatoes cook for about 5 mins, then add the kidney beans with all the spices, stir well and let it cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with basmati rice.