23rd Aug 2013
It’s National Potato Day, and celeb chef Catherine Fulvio has teamed up with Bord Bia to create a few recipes to spice up the spud. Check out one of our faves below, or head to potato.ie for tons more.
Parmesan Potato Cakes and Chive and Lemon Drizzle
Makes 12 small cakes
??These potato cakes make an ideal starter and you can use the left over mash from the previous evening,? says Catherine. ?Queen potatoes have that lovely floury texture and are great to use for steaming and boiling. They are available late June to September.?
50g? plain flour
400g Queen potatoes, steamed and pressed through a ricer or masher
1 egg, beaten
3 scallions, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 tbsp milk, if the mixture is too dry
4 tbsp grated parmesan
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Butter and oil, for frying
2 tbsp chopped chives
? lemon, juice & zest
4 tbsp olive oil
Watercress or salad leaves, to garnish
Borage flowers, to garnish (optional)
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Place the potato, flour, egg, scallions, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl, and mix well until all the ingredients come together and add a little milk, if necessary.
2. Using damp hands, divide the mixture in 12 portions and shape into small potato cakes.
3. Mix the parmesan, breadcrumbs and parsley together and toss onto a plate.
4. Roll in the parmesan breadcrumb mix. Place on a plate lined with parchment and set aside in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
5. Heat the oil or butter in a large fryingpan over a medium heat and carefully fry the potato cakes for about 2 minutes until lightly golden brown on each side.
6.?To make the drizzle, whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
7.?To serve, place 3 potato cakes on a serving plate, spoon over the drizzle and serve with watercress or salad leaves and borage flowers and lemon wedges.
Top tip:?Saute a finely chopped red chilli and add to the potato mix for that little extra heat and serve with a sweet chilli dipping sauce and some lime wedges for another twist.
A life of wearing the wrong underwear had Sophie White’s knickers in a twist. She reports on the unexpected satisfaction...
Rings to help you flaunt your fresh mani? Non-negotiables. Nail salons reopened their doors to the public earlier this week...
Check out three of our favourite vegan/veggie-friendly spots in Dublin worth trying this weekend. The best bit? Chances are, even...
No other European country is having the same public order challenges our capital city is experiencing, writes Amanda Cassidy I...
Kate Garraway’s devastating Covid story is a reminder of why we must keep each other in mind as an invisible...
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities is just getting started, writes Amanda Cassidy As the pandemic...
Many of us are struggling to maintain a healthy sleep cycle during Covid-19, explains sleep technologist Breege Leddy. But there are...