beyonce holding baby
In honour of the woman whose songs have soothed many a menstrual cramp, we have decided to reflect upon her existence, with this digestible list of Mastermind topic facts.
- Beyonc? was born September 4th
- Her full name? Beyonc? Giselle Knowles.
- She’s a Texan gal born and raised in Houston, Texas.
- From an early age she was showcasing a beautiful voice. She was beating teens at talent competitions when she was a mere seven-years-old. Her song of choice: John Lennon’s Imagine.
- Her voice is classified as mezzo-soprano.
- She landed a record deal with the band Destiny’s Chile in 1997 with Columbia Records.
- Her first number one was Bills, Bills, Bills with the R&B group.
- Her debut solo album, Dangerously in Love, has sold 11 million copies worldwide since its 2003 release.
- That album won five Grammy Awards.
- Beyonc? is actually the proud owner of 20 Grammy Awards- the second most honoured female in Grammys history.
- In 2010 she won six Grammy Awards in one night – a record which Adele matched in 2012.
- And to boot, she’s the most nominated woman in the award’s history with 52 nods. Talk about Sasha Fierce.
- Her time with Destiny’s Child ended in 2005, a year after the release of the band’s last album, Destiny Fulfilled.
- The next year she released her second album, B?Day.
- She’s the second most followed person on Instagram with 44.7 million followers. Kim Kardashian recently overtook her lead.
- She’s an occasional actress and counts Goldmember and Dreamgirls among her forays into film.
- She was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song for Listen in Dreamgirls.
- She married Jay-Z in 2008 at a private ceremony in New York. She frequently collaborates with her husband.
- I am?Sasha Fierce came out in 2008 and her immortality was guaranteed with the song Single Ladies.
- That hit single inspired this SNL skit.
- She performed at Barack Obama’s inaugural ball, covering Etta James? iconic At Last.
- Her fifth studio album, self-titled Beyonc?, was a surprise release in December 2013 and was one of the most secretive productions in modern music history.
- Beyonc?‘s zero marketing plan inspired a university course.
- She’s not just a singer. Beyonc? dabbles in fashion lines, fragrance and acts as a brand ambassador for some major fashion houses. She has a fitness line with Topshop slated for release this Autumn.
- She’s not a stranger to controversy. She was subject to justified criticism when it was revealed she performed a private concert for Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, now deceased, on New Year’s Eve 2010.
- Beyonc? later made amends and donated her fee to a charity that helped the people of Haiti after their devastating earthquake.
- She has publicly fallen out with her father and dropped him as her manager in March 2011.
- Her 2013 Super Bowl performance was incredible. Fact.
- She became a mother in 2012, when she gave birth to Blue Ivy Carter.
- She announced her pregnancy at the 2011 MTV VMAs at the end of Love on Top performance.
- She had a miscarriage before becoming pregnant with her daughter.
- Some more controversy: the married couple rented out the floor of a New York hospital to welcome Blue Ivy to the world.
- She runs a social enterprise with her mother Tina that offers those struggling with addiction problems a chance to take a training course in cosmetology.
- She records all her interviews, just in case she’s misquoted. Do not mess with Queen Bey.
Death is a natural part of life, yet there’s no...
If you find yourself suffering with symptoms like cramping, sore...
Time these days is a contradiction. Slow-moving, yet somehow passing...
Jennifer McShane celebrates the classic films of her childhood that made...
Paul Mescal fans, this one is for you… A 14-minute...
It was on this day, January 17th, 1998, when news...
‘People were too busy ordering bottles of brandy or finding out who had the cocaine’: Graham Norton on the Christmases he’d much rather forget
Chatshow host Graham Norton worked as a waiter when he...
Ring in the New Year (and bid a welcome adieu...