11th Dec 2018
If there was ever a time of year to wear false lashes, it’s now. Most of us mere mortals (getting ready in the office bathroom) don’t have a make-up artist on hand and will make-do ourselves, no easy task. Many of us find them so difficult to put on and the whole experience is stressful- not really what you want before a night out.
Firstly, before buying your lashes, always consider the shape of your eye. Hooded lids? Don’t go for any that are too long as you won’t be able to see much of your eyelid. Eyes close together? Go for lashes with lots of volume at the outer edges, this will elongate your eye. To help you decide here’s our pick of the best brands and most importantly, how to put them on without destroying the rest of your eye makeup in the process.
A brand I reach for a lot is Eyelure, as they have such a huge selection of lashes. Whether you want natural, glam or all out drama they have a set to suit your eye shape. They also do great individual lashes, these can be more time consuming to apply but always look the most natural. With these, you have more options to build up the drama where you want it, by adding lots of the small size to create volume, or increasing the length along your lash-line to create a fluttery feline look.
The Ardell Demi Wispies are hugely popular, and for good reason. My personal favorite lashes, they are also used frequently by the Pixiwoo sisters and with thousands of followers between them they’re definitely onto something. These are the perfect dramatic lashes that aren’t in-your-face and heavy. Instead they are fluttery and light whilst adding length and volume to your lashes. The mix of lengths give them a more natural look but the flare on the outer edges keeps them feeling glamorous.MAC Eye Lashes #4; €14.00 at Brown Thomas
Even though we are going to give you some tips on applying your lashes, for some it’s just too much of a task. This is where MAC steps in, make an appointment and they will put your lashes on for you- all you have to do is buy their lashes. With an expert applying them, there is no fear of one falling off halfway through your rendition of All I Want for Christmas at the office party. For those who don’t want to look like you’re wearing a great set of Kardashian style lashes the #4’s are ideal as they are a natural length but will add fullness and volume. They are also handmade, and super light which is great if you find wearing false lashes a little uncomfortable.
How to apply
Now that you’ve chosen your lashes you’re on to the hard part…applying them. Don’t fret, breathe deep and count to 10, it really isn’t as bad as you think.
- apply a little eyeliner or dark shadow to your lash line as this will make the lashes blend in- you don’t want to be able to see any lash strip
- the biggest mistake people make is taking lashes from the box and trying to apply straight away- not everyone’s eyes are the same size so you will need to trim your lashes. This is what stops them from pinging up in the inner corners after an hour or so!
- Use tweezers to apply as you have more precision and control
- When you paint on the glue make sure to put an extra dab on the inner and outer corner of the lash seam to make them really secure
- Wait at least 30 seconds after putting the glue on the lash before applying to your eye, this makes the glue more tacky and less likely for the lash to slip everywhere when placing it
- Use the opposite side of your tweezers to press down on the inner and outer corner to make sure they are secure
And voila! Now you’re ready to bat the night away without your lashes falling into you mulled wine, just make sure you take them off before bed!
Twiggy eyeliner, slicked-back hair and fresh skin; these are the AW21 Paris Fashion Week beauty trends you'll actually want to wear.
How Rodial CEO and founder Maria Hatzistefanis is spending this time in lockdown.
People message me every day to tell me not to...
There are oceans of beauty ideas, products and routines out...