08th May 2019
We’re so used to tans having a guide colour that when we use a clear tanning product, we have the ultimate fear. Should we be nervous? Will it all go wrong? And can we achieve a streak-free colour with no guide?
Clear tans strike fear into my heart. How do you know you’ve gotten it right?! Will it be streaky? Which bits of my body have I done? Have I done some bits twice?! My nerves can’t take it. So for the longest time, I steered well clear of those tanning water-style ones that don’t hold your hand through the tricky tanning process.
Until recently, that is. When, for the sake of research, I decided to try a few. And thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. There were no major disasters – once I stuck to my methodical limb-by-limb application, I ended up streak-free every time. But that’s not to say it wasn’t without a learning curve. I did find out a few clear tanning lessons along the way…
What to remember:
- Make sure, as with any tan, to do your hair removal and exfoliation at least 24 hours before you’re due to apply the tan
- Don’t moisturise before you apply it, but moisturise daily afterwards to keep the tan locked in for longer
- The best part of no indicator colour? No destroyed sheets, tan sweat stains on clothes or weird biscuit smell to contend with.
What NOT to do:
- Don’t use an oil-based shower gel or cleanser before application – it will mess up the adherence to your skin
- Don’t forget to wash your hands if you don’t use a mitt to rub the tan in
- Don’t worry about streaking – focus on feeling the tan saturating every inch of skin and come up with a methodical application system so you know which limbs you’ve done and which you haven’t
Tans I’ve tried (and liked!)
There are oceans of beauty ideas, products and routines out...
Everything you hate about deodorant is solved with this minty...
Summer beauty finds: Everything you need for a sun-kissed look, from sunset eyeshadows to creamy bronzers
Tired of doing the same make-up? Try these summer beauty...
As an IMAGE subscriber, we like to treat you every...
Journalist and podcaster Pandora Sykes shares her beauty must-haves with...