Supper Club: Vegan cauliflower and butternut squash curry
This is my favourite midweek curry. In fact, it’s an anytime curry and perfect for when you’re in need of rejuvenation. Super-simple, super-tasty and good for both body and soul.
Simple Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Curry
2 tbsp flavourless oil
2 red onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4cm piece each of fresh ginger and turmeric, grated
4 cardamom pods, bruised
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
2 bird’s eye chillies, halved
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes
4 mini cauliflowers or 500g cauliflower, cut into florets
2 sprigs curry leaves
400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
400ml tinned coconut milk
10g coriander, leaves picked
freshly squeezed juice of ½ lime, plus extra wedges to serve
salt and freshly ground black pepper
cooked brown rice and/or vegan naan breads, to serve
- Place the oil and sliced onions in a wide, deep saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, with the lid on, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom pods, lemongrass, chillies, garam masala and cumin, plus a splash of water to stop the pan from going dry, and cook the paste for about a minute.
- Add the chopped butternut squash and mini cauliflowers or cauliflower florets, plus the curry leaves, chickpeas and tinned tomatoes. Add the coconut milk and a little salt and pepper. Stir everything together and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Add a splash more water if the pan gets too dry.
- Add the coriander and lime juice and serve with brown rice and/or vegan naan breads and lime wedges.
Extracted from Cauliflower Power by Kathy Kordalis (Ryland Peters & Small). Photography by Mowie Kay.