What to eat this weekend: Shiitake and spinach turmeric omelette
Quick, easy, healthy and delicious, this veggie omelette, complete with immune-boosting turmeric, is the perfect weekend brunch.
This is one of my favourite meals to whip up. Turmeric and shiitake mushrooms are two of the best immune regulating foods on the planet. The clever thing about these two amazing ingredients is that they don’t just boost the immune system, they’re also brilliant at preventing excessive immune-system activity. It’s this clever balance that makes them so unique.
Shiitake and spinach turmeric omelette
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- handful of fresh spinach
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the shiitake mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry until golden, then turn the heat down.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl with the turmeric and a pinch of salt and pepper. Beat well with a fork. Add the egg mixture to the pan and move the pan around to spread the egg evenly over the mushrooms.
- When the omelette begins to cook and firm up, but still has a little raw egg on top, add the spinach leaves and pinch of nutmeg. Using a spatula or fish slice, ease around the edges of the omelette, then fold it in half.
- When it starts to turn golden brown underneath, remove the pan from the heat and slide the omelette onto a plate.
Extracted from Radiant by Hanna Sillitoe. Photography by Joanna Henderson.