Atayef (a Middle Eastern pancake with a twist) – the winning recipe from innocent Ireland’s dairy-free cook off
06th May 2021
This delicious dessert took first place at the innocent Ireland dairy-free cook off. Here’s how to make it.
Sanaa was over the moon when her Atayef won first place at the innocent Ireland dairy-free cook off.
The challenge was to create a sweet or savoury recipe using an innocent dairy-free drink, and Sanaa’s unique approach had the judges drooling.
Using the oat milk to whip up a creamy custard filling, she made Atayef – a Middle Eastern pancake with a twist – inspired by her Palestinian heritage and her love for experimenting in the kitchen.
“I’m a Palestinian/Middle Eastern graphic designer who loves to bake and share recipes,” she said. “I experiment a lot so I love trying out new things.”
“After graduating, I started to focus more on baking and hope to share a taste of the Middle East through the fatayer (pastries) I currently sell.”
Here is Sanaa’s delicious winning recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Creamy custard filling
- 2 cups innocent oat milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- Mix all ingredients (expect for the bicarbonate of soda) together in a bowl until well combined.
- Add in the bicarbonate soda and mix again (batter will be slightly thick).
- Pour the batter into small rounds in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the top of the pancakes form bubbles and are dry to the touch (don’t flip!).
- Set aside and cover with a tea towel to prevent them from drying.
- In a pan, mix together all the custard ingredients. Cook on medium-high until thick (about five minutes). Allow to cool until warm.
- To assemble, place a teaspoon of custard onto the top half of the pancake.
- Pinch the bottom half of the pancake until it sticks together and forms a kind of cone.
- Dip into some crushed nuts (I used pistachios) and drizzle with sugar syrup, maple syrup or honey.
- Eat right away and enjoy!
Old charm in a very desirable location, this stunning period...
Large garden, period features, modern facilities, plenty of space and...
As we start planning holidays close to home this summer,...
You might recognise Anthony Bridgerton's new love interest Simone Ashley as Olivia from 'Sex Education'.
The model and author issued a lengthy apology following a...
If you’re always looking for just a little extra space...