Atayef (a Middle Eastern pancake with a twist) – the winning recipe from innocent Ireland’s dairy-free cook off
06th May 2021
This delicious dessert took first place at the innocent Ireland dairy-free cook off. Here’s how to make it.
Sanaa was over the moon when her Atayef won first place at the innocent Ireland dairy-free cook off.
The challenge was to create a sweet or savoury recipe using an innocent dairy-free drink, and Sanaa’s unique approach had the judges drooling.
Using the oat milk to whip up a creamy custard filling, she made Atayef – a Middle Eastern pancake with a twist – inspired by her Palestinian heritage and her love for experimenting in the kitchen.
“I’m a Palestinian/Middle Eastern graphic designer who loves to bake and share recipes,” she said. “I experiment a lot so I love trying out new things.”
“After graduating, I started to focus more on baking and hope to share a taste of the Middle East through the fatayer (pastries) I currently sell.”
Here is Sanaa’s delicious winning recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Creamy custard filling
- 2 cups innocent oat milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- Mix all ingredients (expect for the bicarbonate of soda) together in a bowl until well combined.
- Add in the bicarbonate soda and mix again (batter will be slightly thick).
- Pour the batter into small rounds in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the top of the pancakes form bubbles and are dry to the touch (don’t flip!).
- Set aside and cover with a tea towel to prevent them from drying.
- In a pan, mix together all the custard ingredients. Cook on medium-high until thick (about five minutes). Allow to cool until warm.
- To assemble, place a teaspoon of custard onto the top half of the pancake.
- Pinch the bottom half of the pancake until it sticks together and forms a kind of cone.
- Dip into some crushed nuts (I used pistachios) and drizzle with sugar syrup, maple syrup or honey.
- Eat right away and enjoy!