What to bake this weekend: Raspberry and lemon swirl rolls
13th May 2021
These raspberry and lemon swirl rolls were a finalist recipe at the innocent Ireland dairy-free cook off. Here’s how to make them.
An airy, fruit-filled treat, these raspberry and lemon swirl rolls are perfectly paired with a cup of coffee or tea.
“I set up my food page on Instagram in the first lockdown to share my love for all things food,” Niamh said.
“I chose to make this recipe to reinvent the classic cinnamon roll, combining two of my all time favourite flavours: raspberry and lemon.”
Her swirl rolls are completely dairy-free and topped off with a vanilla glaze – a light and flavourful pastry to try out this weekend or a great batch bake for your next picnic.
Here’s how to make them.
Raspberry and lemon swirl rolls
- 240ml lukewarm hazelnut milk
- 55g butter (melted)
- 1 egg
- 50g sugar
- 2 1/2tsp active dry yeast
- 420g all purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- Whisk together melted butter, milk, yeast, egg, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until a dough begins to form.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rise for approximately one hour.
- zest of 1 lemon
- 230g frozen raspberries
- 50g sugar
- 1tsp cornflour
- Mix the sugar and lemon zest together in a bowl.
- Add the cornflour and gently stir in the frozen raspberries.
- Once the dough has risen, roll on a floured surface into a large rectangle (12 x 15 inches).
- Spread the raspberry filling onto the dough, leaving a space at the edges.
- Roll the dough into a log shape and cut 9 equal-sized pieces, placing them on a lined baking tray.
- Cover the rolls and allow to rise for another 35-40 minutes in a warm cupboard.
The vanilla glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar (sieved)
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Start by whisking the three ingredients in a bowl.
- Add more icing sugar or milk depending on your desired consistency.
- Once risen, bake in the oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes until lightly brown.
- Drizzle with glaze while it’s still warm and enjoy!
A celeb duet, an off-screen romance and Joey’s identical hand twin: Five standout moments from the Friends reunion
As a self-proclaimed ‘Friends’ nut, the magnitude of this is...
From West Cork to Wexford, these homes all feel like special finds for their relatively small price.
You might recognise Anthony Bridgerton's new love interest Simone Ashley as Olivia from 'Sex Education'.
Dealz has refreshed its PEP&CO Home collection, full of cute...
There are many reasons to love the sitcom Friends –...
Did I mention I knew zilch about Formula One (F1)...