For Frida Kahlo's birthday we remember 10 reasons why she'll always be iconic
We love Frida...
- For this incredible quote: ?I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.?
- For her bisexuality and having an affair with Josephine Baker.
- For marrying painter Diego Rivera, who described her work as ?acid and tender?.
- For the fact that she had such a bad accident when she was 18 that she suffered from tremendous physical pain and had to stay in a full-body cast a lot of the time.
- For putting so much of the physical anguish she experienced into her paintings.
- For neglecting the tweezers.
- For always putting down her birthday as the 7th of July although it was probably the 6th.
- For bringing the colours and nature of the jungle into her work, and bringing Amerindian and Mexican culture and folklore to life with a Surrealist touch.
- For being a friend of Leon Trotsky's while he was in exile.
- For the incredible self-portraits she gave us.
AND because if there was a movie about our life, we'd want to be played by Salma Hayek too.