28th Dec 2014
Saba mixologist Karim Mehdi shares his insider tips for the perfect cocktails
1. Keep it fresh. Cocktails taste best when you use fresh ingredients. You will get the best flavour from the fruit, and it’s also healthier.
2. Keep it seasonal. It makes more sense to use ingredients that are in season, as they’re less expensive and will help set the Christmas mood. Cranberries are perfect as an ingredient or garnish, as are nutmeg, pear, cinnamon, apples and figs.
3. Keep it simple. Some of?the best cocktails contain only three ingredients, so don’t over-complicate things. A classic daiquiri, for instance, contains rum, lime and sugar; an old fashioned has bourbon, sugar and bitters.
4. Keep it local. You can find some of the best products on your doorstep. Using local producers not only gives you the best and freshest ingredients, but also reduces your carbon footprint. Use local honeys and herbs, and there are some great Irish liqueurs and spirits too.
5. Keep it high quality. Using good quality spirits will give you the tastiest cocktails. Higher quality spirits give more depth, flavour, complexity and aroma.
Cocktails to wow
Getting into the spirit of Christmas means a festive mixed drink, and master’mixologist Paul Lambert of The Blind Pig and Upstairs @ Kinara Kitchen?has three tasty recipes to make foragathering most merry.
50ml VS Cognac
15ml sugar syrup
2 dashes orange bitters
Pour ingredients into a’mixing glass(a pint glass will’do) with ice. Stir to dilute?and strain into a chilled’martini glass. Garnish
with an orange zest.
50ml Bacardi Superior
17.5ml fresh lime juice
2 tsp caster sugar
10ml gingerbread syrup
Add sugar and lime juice to?the shaker first.Stir.Then add?rum and syrup. Add some?ice and shake well. Strain?into a chilled martini glass.
Egg Nog Cocktail
35ml Advocaat liqueur
17.5ml dark rum
35ml fresh cream
10ml cinnamon syrup
Shake all and strain?into a chilled martini?glass. Garnish with?a dust of ground?nutmeg.
This article originally appeared in IMAGE’s December 2014 issue, make sure to check out the January issue, which is on shelves now.
LOVE this? Why not have IMAGE delivered directly to your door each month? Check out this month’s offer?here.
Sarah Harding has died at the age of just 39, her heartbroken mother revealed today. The Girls Aloud star had...
This is a great way to get a juicy roast chicken, bursting with flavour. Bord Bia’s Spatchcock Chicken...
Your brain health is just as important as that of the rest of your body, says psychologist and neuroscientist Dr...
Annie Gatling, now Colleran, knew Trinity College was for her when she saw Front Gate from the top storey of...
Don’t miss this year’s IMAGE Business Summit, with an expert line-up, skills masterclasses, keynote addresses and more.Back by popular demand,...
These days, going to a wedding is the equivalent of going on a short holiday in terms of cost. From...