14th Dec 2014
Rustle up a gorgeously rustic Christmas wreath with our expert gardener Mark Grehan‘s pictorial tutorial…
Love the seasonal swag at Doreen Kilfeather’s beautiful Sandymount home, as seen in the latest issue of Image Interiors & Living? Re-create the look with our step-by-step guide in the gallery above.
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you’ll need close at hand…
- Foliage such as cypress, pine, oak leaf, cedar and eucalyptus (Mark selected a variety of foliage from his home in Connemara and from The Garden at Powerscourt Townhouse in Dublin)
- Rosehips / Ilex berries
- Pine cones
- Dried fennel
- Birch branches
- Florist snips
1. Strip the lower parts of the foliage so you have clean ends to work with.
2. Select a large birch branch which will act as the centrepiece of the swag. This can be sourced from your own garden or alternatively you can find a wide range of winter foliage, berries and flowers at The Garden in Powerscourt Townhouse, Dublin.
3. Add a cluster of branches around this main branch to form a strong centre, and wire these securely in place.
4. To this, add your selected foliage and wire each piece into the main branch. Work from the top of the branch to the centre. Start by adding foliage and, as you work down the swag, add the rosehips the other flowers you have selected. This will add colour and texture to the design.
5. Once you arrive at the centre of the swag, change the direction of the foliage to point downwards.
6. Remember to keep the design loose and quite unstructured, which will add to the overall informal look.
7. You can then add a bow to the centre of the swag as well as pine cones, cinnamon sticks and fruit slices to finish. Mist the foliage often to ensure the swag lasts throughout the festive season.
Painting kitchen cabinets can be transformative and can be achieved relatively low-cost,...
While staying at home and with plenty of time to...
Emerging after the pandemic: ‘There’s an awkwardness to my interactions, like I’ve forgotten how to socialise’
In just a few months, human contact became one of...
Chrissy Teigen is the queen of oversharing. Usually it’s in...
When I was 12 I wrote a story about two...
Many of us are struggling to maintain a healthy sleep cycle...