27th Apr 2016
In this recipe, Lilly Higgins invites you to create sumptuous Cornish pastie-like hand pies, packed with rhubarb and strawberry filling. Although the ratio of buttery pastry to fruit is somewhat uneven, these pies make for an excellent treat and are best served at home with hot custard or cream.
Rhubarb and strawberry hand pies (makes 8)
YOU WILL NEED
For the pastry:
150g (5oz) cold butter, diced
240g (8 1/2 oz) plain flour
30g (1 1/4 oz) icing sugar
For the filling:
2 sticks rhubarb
10 strawberries (approx)
1 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp sugar
Egg wash and sugar for sprinkling over
- Put the butter, flour and sugar into a bowl and mix with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Add the egg and gently work with a round bladed knife or in the food processor to bind the ingredients together. Don’t knead.
- Flatten into a disc and cover with cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180?C.
- Line two baking trays with parchment and then finely slice the rhubarb.
- De-hull the strawberries and cut into chunkier slices, then place both in a bowl and sieve over the cornflour.
- Add the sugar and’stir to gently combine.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use a saucer or similar-sized cutter to trace out the circle shape of the pies.
- Fill half of each circle with 2-3 teaspoons of fruit, leaving a border around the edge.
- Fold over the pastry to make a semi-circle. Pinch the edges together or press with a fork.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle sugar over each pie.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
For Lilly’s freshest foodie advice, pick up the brand new May-June edition of?Image Interiors & Living, on shelves now!?
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities...
A life of wearing the wrong underwear had Sophie White’s...
The documentary Miss Americana has shown a different side to...
We are used to celebrities oversharing their lives. But sharing...
The entitled backlash when someone tries to set their own...
Do you find yourself talking about how busy and stressed...
Your brain health is just as important as that of...