01st Mar 2018
Celebrities attending this week’s 90th Academy Awards will be treated to luxury goody bags worth $138,000 – as if they didn’t have enough already. Stars including Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie and Meryl Streep will be gifted everything from holidays to diamonds before they enter the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Sunday evening.
The gift bag isn’t actually organised by the Academy themselves, but rather an external LA-based marketing company called Distinctive Assets. The Oscars organisers haven’t given their own gift bags since 2006, when they were investigated by the IRS (America’s revenue office) over the high value of the goods. Since then, Distinctive Assets has been sorting the so-called ‘Swag Bags’, though the Academy isn’t too keen. In 2016, the prestigious film organisation filed a lawsuit against the marketing company for the distasteful gifts within the bags. Items including sex toys and vouchers for plastic surgery raised many eyebrows, and the Academy didn’t want to be associated with such “unwholesome” products. The lawsuit was resolved when Distinctive Assets agreed to swap the official Oscars branding on the goody bags in favour of the new slogan ‘Everyone Wins’.
So, what’s in the bags this year? See the extensive list below:
– A week-long spa retreat at Golden Door
– A 12-night Tanzania trip for two
– A 7-day Hawaii trip at Koloa Landing Resort in Poipu
– A stay at Avaton Luxury Villas Resort in Halkidiki, Greece
Jewellery and miscellaneous:
– A Luxura Diamonds ‘conflict-free’ necklace
– Liwu jewellery from Ireland
– Safi Kilima bracelet with oval tanzanite stones
– Commissioned work from Reian Williams Fine Art
– Charleston & Harlow soy candles
– NeverMissed dating app, available pre-launch
– Pepperface, a lightweight pepper spray
– 23andMe genetic service
– 10,000 bowls and pet food donation to an animal shelter of their choice
– Shop Modern Innovations’ levitating bluetooth speaker
– Vaya’s Tyffyn lunchboxes
– Happiest Tee’s American-made T-shirts
Food and drink:
– Edible chocolate earrings
– Lemonade-flavoured moonshine from Southern Wicked Lemonade
– Locally-grown oranges
– Jarritos, the Mexican soda
– 2 gourmet pretzel gift boxes from Posh Pretzels
– Rouge Maple syrup
– Organic, vegan and small-batch Delicacies lollipops
Beauty and well-being:
– 10 sessions with celebrity personal trainer Alexis Seletzky
– An 18-minute phobia-relief session with Kalliope
– Underarm sweat patches from Dandi Patch
– A.I. beauty startup PROVEN’s personalised skincare products
– Quincy Herbals detox tea
– Quip’s oral care kit
– Youthblast anti-aging supplement and 24k Gold Facial
– A lifetime supply of Oxygenetix foundation
– Look Fabulous Forever makeup, specially formulated for older women
– My Magic Mud toothpaste
– Nurse Gigi skin rejuvenation procedures
– MZ Skin firming eye cream and golden treatment mask
– Chao Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation dental procedure
– A one-year supply of ALLÉL’s skincare program
– Healing Saint’s skin serum and follicle stimulant
– Colour-changing lipstick from Blush & Whimsy
– Weight loss supplement
– 10-piece Inception of Beauty makeup set
– Face It and Eye Love It face wash and makeup removers
– Oumere anti-aging skincare
– Paiva Aloe cleanser and mask
– PETA’s cruelty-free bath bombs
– Le Céline eyelash products
– Totalee hair care products
Books and cards:
– A memoir by Esther Fairfax about her mother Lotte Berk, the innovator of Barre
– Danish cookbook, Cook Yourself Happy
– Curlee Girlee children’s book
– Bangarang’s Positive Cube, a wooden box filled with 199 cards of positive action and quotes.
While staying at home and with plenty of time to spare, creative people are turning to their walls as a...
A Malaysian judge has overturned an inquest verdict of misadventure in the death of 15-year-old Nóra Quoirin, changing it to...
ABGC Architects were enlisted to transform a large white box into a functional living space for two design-minded homeowners. When...
The entitled backlash when someone tries to set their own boundaries is concerning, writes Amanda Cassidy “One particular friend just...
With Father’s Day just around the corner (this Sunday 20h June, so yes, you do have time to buy yours...
Check out three of our favourite vegan/veggie-friendly spots in Dublin worth trying this weekend. The best bit? Chances are, even...
With diversity on the rise, what struggles do interracial couples continue to face today? Filomena Kaguako speaks to three couples about their experiences.