08th Jul 2014
For Frida Kahlo’s birthday we remember 10 reasons why she’ll always be iconic
We love Frida…
– For this incredible quote: ?I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.?
– For her bisexuality and having an affair with Josephine Baker.
– For marrying painter Diego Rivera, who described her work as ?acid and tender?.
– For the fact that she had such a bad accident when she was 18 that she suffered from tremendous physical pain and had to stay in a full-body cast a lot of the time.
– For putting so much of the physical anguish she experienced into her paintings.
– For neglecting the tweezers.
– For always putting down her birthday as the 7th of July although it was probably the 6th.
– For bringing the colours and nature of the jungle into her work, and bringing Amerindian and Mexican culture and folklore to life with a Surrealist touch.
– For being a friend of Leon Trotsky’s while he was in exile.
– For the incredible self-portraits she gave us.
AND because if there was a movie about our life, we’d want to be played by Salma Hayek too.
The BRIT Awards took place over in London last night,...
What’s seldom is truly wonderful, writes Amanda Cassidy Dublin Zoo...
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities...
The Love Island presenter has divided social media after she...
Painting kitchen cabinets can be transformative and can be achieved relatively low-cost,...