For Frida Kahlo’s birthday we remember 10 reasons why she’ll always be iconic
We love Frida…
– For this incredible quote: ?I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.?
– For her bisexuality and having an affair with Josephine Baker.
– For marrying painter Diego Rivera, who described her work as ?acid and tender?.
– For the fact that she had such a bad accident when she was 18 that she suffered from tremendous physical pain and had to stay in a full-body cast a lot of the time.
– For putting so much of the physical anguish she experienced into her paintings.
– For neglecting the tweezers.
– For always putting down her birthday as the 7th of July although it was probably the 6th.
– For bringing the colours and nature of the jungle into her work, and bringing Amerindian and Mexican culture and folklore to life with a Surrealist touch.
– For being a friend of Leon Trotsky’s while he was in exile.
– For the incredible self-portraits she gave us.
AND because if there was a movie about our life, we’d want to be played by Salma Hayek too.