Tara Fay of Xena Productions tells us a little about using candles wisely.
- Used properly, scented candles are a great way to enhance a space. Often, however, an overwhelming mix of scents can be more than most people can take.
- Never mix two types of scented candles in one space, even if they have the same scent, as one brand’s version of lavender can be different to another’s.
- And never use a scented candle when serving food, especially vanilla ones, as they can interfere with your guests? appreciation of the food. So make sure dinner candles aren’t fragranced.
- If the scent from a candle is very strong or long lasting, light it a few hours before your party and blow out soon after guests arrive. If the aim is atmospheric, use a plain candle.
- Don’t use strong scents in confined spaces. It will be like having to spend an evening with someone’s perfume you hate.
- Candles look great near a mirror, coloured glass or plants – darker corners you don’t mind drawing attention to. And at an entrance, they always mean a welcome. You can use groupings of candles on both sides of a door, or one grouping. If you want to add some foliage or greenery, ensure your candles are in glass or lanterns.
- For festive scented candles, bathrooms are a great place, as are halls and doorways or anywhere people will walk through. Subtle scents work best.
- A super easy way to create atmosphere is to put small night lights in hollowed-out oranges and surround them with cloves – the original scented candle.
This article was originally published in the December issue of IMAGE Magazine.
“The hair look really was inspired by the early 90s,” says Victoria Beckham. “I like the idea of quite heavy hair, heavy fringes, that hair that looks like it’s been slept in a little bit, with a little bit of a bend in it.” Here’s how to recreate the lived-in luxe look from her AW21 show.
Since the pandemic began, staying safe and staying healthy has...
Trying to maintain a streak-free tan at home is no...
Cult niche perfume brand Le Labo just got a lot easier to buy.
The heroes behind Elle Fanning's gleaming skin - huzzah!
The Ordinary, the Internet’s favourite beauty brand, are launching an...
Apart from the six-week check-up with our GP after birth...