This Highbank Winter Switzel is a deliciously warming non-alcoholic tipple
Highbank Organic Farm just outside Kilkenny are known for their bountiful orchards and the many delicious products they create from them. Here, they share with us one of their favourite concoctions to make for a seasonal celebration.
In the Autumn/Winter issue of IMAGE Interiors, Cliona Prendergast takes a trip to Highbank Organic Farm in Kilkenny. Rod and Julie Calder-Potts have been working with the land for years to produce the highest quality apples, and create a range of delicious products from them, from cider vinegar to syrups.
Here, they share with us their recipe for a Highbank Winter Switzel. Wonderfully warming, it has the added bonus of being non-alcoholic, making it an ideal recipe to have on hand for any occasion.
- 2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 5 tbsp Highbank apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp honey or Highbank apple syrup
- a handful of dried hibiscus flowers
- 450ml hot water
- Add ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, honey/syrup, hibiscus and hot water into a jar.
- Tightly cover with a lid and shake vigorously until honey is dissolved. Loosen the lid and leave on the counter for 24-36 hours to ferment.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and bottle. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Use half a glass of switzel and top up with ice and cold water, seltzer or club soda. Makes a perfect non-alcoholic winter drink
Photography Cliona Prendergast
To read more about Highbank, pick up a copy of the Autumn/Winter 2022 issue of IMAGE Interiors in stores, or have it delivered direct to your door here.
Have you thought about becoming an IMAGE subscriber? Our Print & Digital subscribers receive all four issues of IMAGE Magazine and two issues of IMAGE Interiors directly to their door along with access to all premium content on here to find out more about our IMAGE subscription packages.and a gorgeous welcome gift worth €60 from The Handmade Soap Company. Visit