IMAGE readers love this Porridge Bread recipe (that costs less than €1 per loaf)
03rd Nov 2020
This recipe is one of your favourites. It has been liked and shared thousands of times since we first published it six years ago, and it’s still as good now as it was then
This simple bread alternative tastes delicious and is simple to make. It’s reminiscent of the classic brown soda bread your mother and grandmother used to make, but minus all the flour.
Somehow though, it still does the job, and makes an ideal base for all the things you might pop on top of the regular stuff as well as all the healthier options you probably think you should put on it.
It also costs less than €1 per loaf. Low fat, no wheat and most importantly, no bloating.
- 1 500ml tub of low fat natural yogurt
- 2 tubs of porridge oats (use the yogurt tub that you just emptied)
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil or vegetable oil
- A handful of poppy and/or sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C
- Get a big bowl and hand mix all of your ingredients gently but thoroughly
- Grease a loaf tin (try using the coconut oil for this – tastes great)
- Pour mix into the loaf tin
- Bake for 45 mins (at about 15 mins, sprinkle some extra porridge oats on top)
- Take it out and cool
- Carefully remove from loaf tin
- Put back in the oven for 5 mins to crisp the edges
Read more: Discussing his new RTÉ show, star Irish chef reveals what he has done with Kate & Will’s leftovers …
Read more: 9 amazingly underrated wines from your local Lidl, according to Vivino
Read more: 8 tasty traybake dinners you can throw in the oven with no fuss
She also hit back at her sister and “so-called support system” in a new Instagram post explaining why she’s on...
To quote Damian in ‘Mean Girls’, “OMG Danny DeVito, I love your work!” In news we definitely didn’t think we’d...
Actress Beanie Feldstein has unveiled a first look at her performance as Monica Lewinsky in Impeachment: American Crime Story. The...
There’s more than one way to make pizza in the garden, be it on a DIY wood-fired oven, on a...
There are some items in a kitchen that are essential to every cookspace, no matter the size… and some you...
These homes in West Cork, Tipperary and Longford have plenty of charm and interesting features.
With the crispiness of the fried asparagus and courgette chips, this salad makes the perfect midweek supper. Delish.This is great...