Work-related stress? Here’s how to reduce it
Work-related stress? Here’s how to reduce it

Colette Sexton

‘I wake up exhausted’: how to get a good night’s sleep, according to an Irish sleep expert
‘I wake up exhausted’: how to get a good night’s sleep, according to an Irish...

Grace McGettigan

3 city-centre homes around the country for €175,000 and under
3 city-centre homes around the country for €175,000 and under

Megan Burns

‘I think it’s important that we’re not trying to be perfect’ – Derval O’Rourke on the key to finding balance
‘I think it’s important that we’re not trying to be perfect’ – Derval O’Rourke on...

Sarah Finnan

Multi-organ transplant recipient: ‘I’m extremely aware that someone died for me to be here’
Multi-organ transplant recipient: ‘I’m extremely aware that someone died for me to be here’

Amanda Cassidy

My life-changing story: ‘Having my oesophagus removed was unspeakably traumatic but it saved my life’
My life-changing story: ‘Having my oesophagus removed was unspeakably traumatic but it saved my life’

Amanda Cassidy

Chrissy Teigen’s past trolling tweets highlight the slut-shaming culture we tolerated
Chrissy Teigen’s past trolling tweets highlight the slut-shaming culture we tolerated

Amanda Cassidy

Image / Editorial

Snapchat’s Only Female Board Member Earns Ten Times Less Than Its Male Directors


by Holly O'Neill
07th Feb 2017
blank

A new IPO filing has shown that Snapchat’s only female board member and the chief content officer at Heart Magazines, Joanna Coles, earns 10 times less than it’s paid male directors.

There are nine board members at Snapchat, who are all male with the exception of Coles. Five of those are paid, with Coles being by far the least paid, with also the lowest number of shares in Snapchat among board members.

Fortune is reporting that last year, Coles earned $110,866, where the next lowest paid director earned?nearly $1.1 million.?G100 Companies CEO Scott Miller and Intel Security Group senior vice president Christopher Young only started in October, and each received nearly $1.1 million in 2016.

Last year, A.G. Lafley (former P&G chairman and Snapchat’s highest paid director) received?162,762 shares worth about $2.5 million. Coles received?7,488 shares.

A video posted by Joanna Coles (@joannacoles) on

 

The report has also shown that Snapchat had a 600% growth rate in 2016. Snap Inc., the parent company of Snapchat, has said that when it?goes public, it plans to create a new pay policy in which all board members will be eligible to earn compensation. The IPO filing did not specify how much they will make.

A recent Redfin report has shown that 80 percent of members at the 100 technology companies to most recently file for an IPO were male, leaving 20 percent of board seats to women.?Another?recent study?has revealed that beyond the boardroom, women in a variety of managerial roles make about 17 percent less than their male peers.

IMAGE spoke to the National Women’s Council of Ireland? to see where Ireland sits in terms of the gender pay gap. The NWCI say that in recent years, Ireland’s Gender Pay Gap has widened from 12.6% to 14.4% while the Gender Pension Gap has widened from 35 to 37%.?ESRI research has shown that women in couples suffered a 14% loss in income during the recession compared to 9% for men. This is due to many reasons according to NWCI – women do the majority of care work, childcare costs are among the highest in Europe and the majority of low-paid workers are women, earning €20,000 a year or less. Already vulnerable groups have suffered some of the worst impacts with 58% of lone parents, mostly women, experiencing deprivation.

A report last month on the EU gender pay gap from Expert Market has shown that Irish gender pay gap won’t close until 2028. The UK, Germany and France are among the slowest nations to close the gender pay gap. The Republic of Ireland finished 11th out of 26 nations.

A report by the World Economic Forum has also shown that it could take 170 years, until 2186, to globally eradicate the gender pay gap and the disparity in employment and pay opportunities for men and women. The study also shows that over the past 11 years, the gender pay gap has only closed by four percentage points.