21st Dec 2015
Ard Bia's squash barley risotto
Wintry nights in call for this wholesome and warming squash barley risotto – an exclusive recipe from Galway’s Ard Bia at Nimmo’s…
Serves 6 (as a main course or’makes?10 starter portions)
YOU WILL NEED
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic
500g pearl barley
1/2 cup white wine
5 cups vegetable stock
1 butternut squash
oil, salt, pepper, to taste
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter
200g?St Tolas?goat’s cheese
For the candied walnuts
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
1. Cook the butternut squash in the oven for 20-30 mins at 200?C. Pur?e when soft.
2. Saut? the onions and garlic until they’re translucent.
3. Add the barley and white wine, and cook slowly until all of the wine is absorbed.
4. Add the stock?half a?cup at a time, making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Continue until the barley is completely soft.
5. To make the candied walnuts, heat a heavy-bottomed pan over a medium heat and pop in the butter to melt.
6. Stir the nuts to?coat them in butter and then add the sugar. Stir continuously until caramelised.
7. Pour the nut mixture onto parchment paper, separating the nuts before allowing them to cool.
8. Add the candied nuts to the barley risotto and add the goat’s cheese on top with a teaspoon.
9. Serve with parmesan shards and enjoy!
Annie Gatling, now Colleran, knew Trinity College was for her when she saw Front Gate from the top storey of...
Who is demanding the fetishization of young girls anyway?”When I was working in my early twenties, and even my late...
Don’t miss this year’s IMAGE Business Summit, with an expert line-up, skills masterclasses, keynote addresses and more.Back by popular demand,...
Sarah Harding has died at the age of just 39, her heartbroken mother revealed today. The Girls Aloud star had...
This is a great way to get a juicy roast chicken, bursting with flavour. Bord Bia’s Spatchcock Chicken...
Your brain health is just as important as that of the rest of your body, says psychologist and neuroscientist Dr...