21st Dec 2015
Ard Bia's squash barley risotto
Wintry nights in call for this wholesome and warming squash barley risotto – an exclusive recipe from Galway’s Ard Bia at Nimmo’s…
Serves 6 (as a main course or’makes?10 starter portions)
YOU WILL NEED
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic
500g pearl barley
1/2 cup white wine
5 cups vegetable stock
1 butternut squash
oil, salt, pepper, to taste
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter
200g?St Tolas?goat’s cheese
For the candied walnuts
1 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
1. Cook the butternut squash in the oven for 20-30 mins at 200?C. Pur?e when soft.
2. Saut? the onions and garlic until they’re translucent.
3. Add the barley and white wine, and cook slowly until all of the wine is absorbed.
4. Add the stock?half a?cup at a time, making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Continue until the barley is completely soft.
5. To make the candied walnuts, heat a heavy-bottomed pan over a medium heat and pop in the butter to melt.
6. Stir the nuts to?coat them in butter and then add the sugar. Stir continuously until caramelised.
7. Pour the nut mixture onto parchment paper, separating the nuts before allowing them to cool.
8. Add the candied nuts to the barley risotto and add the goat’s cheese on top with a teaspoon.
9. Serve with parmesan shards and enjoy!
The documentary Miss Americana has shown a different side to...
Painting kitchen cabinets can be transformative and can be achieved relatively low-cost,...
Holograms of the children she may never have dance across Dearbhla Crosses' mind as an MS diagnosis and Covid-19 are unwelcome reminders of her biological clock ticking.
“Every baby costs you a book” – that’s something women...
This healthy fish and courgette chips recipe from Jane Kennedy...