24th Aug 2014
Lilly Higgins’ Pumpkin Pie – as spooky as it is tasty.
YOU WILL NEED
- 240g plain flour
- 150g cold butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 egg
- 425g tin pumpkin puree
- 235ml evaporated milk
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 cloves, finely ground
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp flour
- 70g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170?C .
- First make the pastry. Place the flour and butter into the bowl of a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the whole egg and pulse until it comes together to form a dough. Flatten the dough into a disc and wrap in cling film. Place in the fridge to rest.
- Once rested roll the pastry out on a floured surface. Line a 23cm tart tin. Leave to rest in the fridge again whilst you make the filling.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Once smooth set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg with the evaporated milk. Stir in the pumpkin puree and add the sugar, spices and flour. Once the mixture is smooth reserve 250ml in a jug. Pour the remainder into the pre lined tart tin. Blend the melted chocolate with the reserved pumpkin mix. Pour the dark chocolatey batter into a strong plastic sandwich bag and snip the corner to form a piping bag (or use a piping bag with a wide nozzle.) Carefully pipe a swirl starting from the outside of the pie working your way in to the centre. Pipe a larger amount into the centre. Place a skewer into the centre of the mix and quickly drag it to the outside to create a spider web effect. Do this as many times as you see fit but I found it marks the portions perfectly if you do ten lines.
- Be very careful lifting the tart to the oven, especially if you are using a loose bottomed tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set firm. Leave to cool at room temperature and serve with Greek yogurt or softly whipped cream.
Don’t miss Lilly’s food column in the new issue of Image Interiors & Living and here latest restaurant review here.
Many of us are struggling to maintain a healthy sleep cycle during Covid-19, explains sleep technologist Breege Leddy. But there are...
‘Suddenly alive again’: The heartbreaking joy of finding a deceased loved one on Google Maps street view
“I look at my mum’s old house on Google maps street view, the house where I grew up. It says...
Approximately 80% of people with asthma also suffer from hayfever, which can make summer days a nightmare. These three alternative...
Attracting bees to your outdoor patch is a cinch, with a little forward-planning. We speak to two flower growers in...
Six great audiobooks to listen to in lockdown. It took me ages to come around to the idea of audiobooks....