Friends in a pandemic: ‘Covid impacted our relationship hugely and I can’t say that the damage will ever be undone’
Friends in a pandemic: ‘Covid impacted our relationship hugely and I can’t say that the...

Ciara McQuillan

WIN a Rudolph Chocolate Biscuit Cake for Christmas
WIN a Rudolph Chocolate Biscuit Cake for Christmas

IMAGE

Tom Ford says he was “deeply sad” after watching House of Gucci
Tom Ford says he was “deeply sad” after watching House of Gucci

Holly O'Neill

This Georgian Ranelagh home is on the market for €1.5 million
This Georgian Ranelagh home is on the market for €1.5 million

Megan Burns

You need to check out this Irish-owned, female-led fashion pop-up on Exchequer Street
You need to check out this Irish-owned, female-led fashion pop-up on Exchequer Street

Sarah Finnan

What’s coming to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV and Disney Plus in December 2021
What’s coming to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV and Disney Plus in December 2021

Lauren Heskin

Virgil Abloh was so loved, but he should have been celebrated long before death
Virgil Abloh was so loved, but he should have been celebrated long before death

Sarah Finnan

Netflix and Shonda Rhimes’ ‘Inventing Anna’, will be the must-see series of 2022
Netflix and Shonda Rhimes’ ‘Inventing Anna’, will be the must-see series of 2022

Jennifer McShane

Afore After: The womenswear brand that’s so sustainable, it uses buttons made from Irish milk
Afore After: The womenswear brand that’s so sustainable, it uses buttons made from Irish milk

Sarah Finnan

The Ghislaine Maxwell trial starts tomorrow. Here’s what to expect
The Ghislaine Maxwell trial starts tomorrow. Here’s what to expect

Amanda Cassidy

Image / Editorial

Ireland not expected to ease restrictions tomorrow, according to Chief Medical Officer


By Megan Burns
30th Apr 2020
Ireland not expected to ease restrictions tomorrow, according to Chief Medical Officer

Ireland’s Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has said he will not be recommending that the government ease restrictions due to Covid-19 on the government’s May 1 deadline


With the deadline for the current Covid-19 restrictions in Ireland in place until May 1, there were some who were hopeful that tomorrow might mark an easing of those restrictions. However, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said last night that he is not yet in a position to recommend an easing of these restrictions.

It was announced that there have been 31 more deaths due to the coronavirus, bringing Ireland’s total number of people who have died to 1,190. It was also revealed that a second person in the 15-24 age group had died.

There have also been 376 new cases, bringing the total number of cases in Ireland to over 20,000. Dr Holohan said that while the country was making great progress, the number of cases was such that it was too soon to lift restrictions. He also mentioned that there are still over 100 people in intensive care units, so the strain on the health system is still a real danger.

Dr Holohan said that with these levels of the disease, these are not “the kind of circumstances” that would allow him to recommend an easing of Covid-19 restrictions., and so his advice to the Government would be not to lift restrictions.

He did note that 12,222 people have recovered from the virus, which is 64% of the total, while 1,164 cases, which amounts to 6%, have been discharged from hospital, giving a recovery rate of 70%.

Featured image: Daan Stevens via Unsplash


Read more: Study reveals there are 3 types of ‘pandemic personalities’ during lockdown. Which are you?

Read more: Street artist Emmalene Blake’s Covid-19 murals are a breath of fresh air

Read more: How understanding the 5 stages of grief can help you through the coronavirus outbreak