These blueberry,basil and goat’s cheese bites are the perfect warm-weather snack for the weekend
The weather is set to pick up this weekend, and tasty, fresh snacks throughout the day is all we’re thinking about.
Perfectly ripe, in-season berries are one of spring’s treasures and are plentiful this time of year. This delicious recipe from Siúcra combines fresh blueberries with creamy goat’s cheese and a hint of basil for a taste sensation that is bursting with juicy flavour and the perfect picnic snack.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 300g blueberries
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 50g goat’s cheese
- 2 tsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 200g flour
- 100g butter, cold and cubed
- 1 tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 50ml cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine blueberries with fresh basil, goat’s cheese and sugar in a bowl.
- Mash the blueberries with a spoon or fork and mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the flour in a bowl and add the cubes of butter.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining.
- Stir in the cold water to bind the dough together.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
- Dust the work surface and a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll out the pastry.
- Cut into circular shapes using a pastry cutter.
- Place on a lined baking tray and fill the centre of the circles with a spoonful of the filling.
- Fold over and seal with a fork.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar for a golden and crunchy finish.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for approx. 15 minutes.