04th Nov 2014
13 hard-working homeware heroes?
So the industrial trend has been done – and done again. Yet, unlike many more fickle interiors fads, it still shows no signs of fading. Instead it has cleverly matured and reinvented itself time and time again, most recently by teaming up with stripped-back whites, graphic monochromes and nude honey timber to bring an edge of Scandinavian simplicity into play. No longer does industrial inspiration mean dirty battered metals and chunky fittings; these days the look expresses itself with’simplified forms and copper pipes – think open-plan loft apartments, utilitarian glass vessels and exposed materials, with the trend’s classic grey coming through in lighter textiles and concrete accessories.
Above: Hemp cushion from Folklore
Taking inspiration from the Alsace house shoot in our new issue, we show how it’s possible to update the industrial look and to create an atmosphere of light and space, with injections of colour in the form of selected neon and pastel shades.
1. Silver work lamp designed by Form Us With Love, around €176, Royal Design.
2. Round & Round table by Max Lamb, €385, Makers & Brothers.
3. White porcelain tin can, €35.40, Folklore.
4. Copper-finish aluminium ?S? hook, €1.95, Article.
5. Monochrome hemp cushion, €88.50, Folklore.
6. Cousu de Fil Blanc Soap, €12.50, Industry.
7. Delta stainless-steel, beech and horse-hair dustpan and brush set, €28, Article.
8. Nicolle chair, €230.10, Folklore.
9. Dough scraper by Helen James, €2.50, Dunnes Stores.
10. Signal S1333 table lamp, €319, Finnish Design Shop.
11. Japanese white enamel teapot, around €70, Labour & Wait.
12. Black and white masking tape, €15.07, Bodie and Fou.
13. White wire bin, €54.90, Finnish Design Shop.
Here’s a caffeine-fuelled kickstart into the industrial aesthetic. The cool colours of these coffee accessories fit this trend perfectly.
Sheenagh Green for @Image_Interiors
Holograms of the children she may never have dance across Dearbhla Crosses' mind as an MS diagnosis and Covid-19 are unwelcome reminders of her biological clock ticking.
Painting kitchen cabinets can be transformative and can be achieved relatively low-cost,...
For Mother's Day Lia Hynes sits down with Rosanna Davidson, whose exceptional journey into motherhood has given many hope.
We are used to celebrities oversharing their lives. But sharing...
With diversity on the rise, what struggles do interracial couples continue to face today? Filomena Kaguako speaks to three couples about their experiences.
The Love Island presenter has divided social media after she...
‘Femertising’ is big business. Brands are increasingly taking advantage of...