Margaritas spell summer to me. Long, hot days with ice cool drinks, it really doesn’t get much better than that? particularly when those beverages contain tequila! I like my cocktails to pack a punch and this simple strawberry margarita teeters right on the edge of being ?knock yer socks off – strong and soothingly refreshing. Perhaps it’s just as well I haven’t listed the measurements for a pitcher, eh?
- 8 strawberries, hulled
- 3?4 ice cubes
- 60ml tequila
- 30ml Cointreau or triple sec
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or sugar syrup
- To decorate 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 lime slices
- Put the strawberries into a hand blender and blitz until pur?ed. Press the pur?e through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Put the ice cubes into a cocktail shaker along with the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, agave nectar or sugar syrup and strawberry pur?e.
- ?Shake it vigorously until the outside of the shaker frosts up.
- ?Place the salt, sugar and lime zest in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate. Place the lime juice in another small bowl and dip the rim of two cocktail glasses in the juice. Invert each glass onto the plate and twist the glass until the rim is coated in the salt-and-sugar mixture.
- ?Turn the glasses the right way up and carefully pour in the margarita (avoiding the rims of the glasses). Decorate with a slice of lime and serve.
You can find this recipe and more in Keep it Vegan by ?ine Carlin. Published by Kyle Books, priced from €22.55. Photography by Ali Allen.