09th Jul 2015
Margaritas spell summer to me. Long, hot days with ice cool drinks, it really doesn’t get much better than that? particularly when those beverages contain tequila! I like my cocktails to pack a punch and this simple strawberry margarita teeters right on the edge of being ?knock yer socks off – strong and soothingly refreshing. Perhaps it’s just as well I haven’t listed the measurements for a pitcher, eh?
- 8 strawberries, hulled
- 3?4 ice cubes
- 60ml tequila
- 30ml Cointreau or triple sec
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or sugar syrup
- To decorate 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 lime slices
- Put the strawberries into a hand blender and blitz until pur?ed. Press the pur?e through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Put the ice cubes into a cocktail shaker along with the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, agave nectar or sugar syrup and strawberry pur?e.
- ?Shake it vigorously until the outside of the shaker frosts up.
- ?Place the salt, sugar and lime zest in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate. Place the lime juice in another small bowl and dip the rim of two cocktail glasses in the juice. Invert each glass onto the plate and twist the glass until the rim is coated in the salt-and-sugar mixture.
- ?Turn the glasses the right way up and carefully pour in the margarita (avoiding the rims of the glasses). Decorate with a slice of lime and serve.
You can find this recipe and more in Keep it Vegan by ?ine Carlin. Published by Kyle Books, priced from €22.55. Photography by Ali Allen.
No other European country is having the same public order challenges our capital city is experiencing, writes Amanda Cassidy I...
This summer the government will allow my children into a bar, but not to their gymnastics camp. Amanda Cassidy on...
Check out three of our favourite vegan/veggie-friendly spots in Dublin worth trying this weekend. The best bit? Chances are, even...
Hiking a mountain and breast pumping – now, that’s what we call multitasking at its finest. Mandy Moore enjoyed an...
Attracting bees to your outdoor patch is a cinch, with a little forward-planning. We speak to two flower growers in...
Who is demanding the fetishization of young girls anyway?”When I was working in my early twenties, and even my late...
The entitled backlash when someone tries to set their own boundaries is concerning, writes Amanda Cassidy “One particular friend just...