08th Feb 2016
The official day of amour is almost upon us. Since Valentine’s seems to be one of those holidays you either love or hate,?we’ve found 14 sweet?cards for?your significant other that won’t give you a toothache…?
1 & 2. Dusty Boy Designs. Flamingos are everywhere at the moment thanks to the s/s 2016 penchant for all things tropical?(even Whitney Port is on board). As well as being on trend, these leggy birds are one of a few species of birds that mate for life. This pretty number (?3.45) and the Candy Crush card pictured at the top of this post (?15.95 for an assorted box of eight) are both from?Dusty Boy Designs.
3. Jando Design.?Other options in this range include “I Love You More Than Chipper Chips”, but we feel that our morning coffee is more meaningful, ?3.00 by Jando Designs on Etsy.
4. Rifle Paper Company. We love this pun-tastic hand-illustrated pineapple design by Rifle Paper Company,??4.50 from Moss Cottage.
6. Stencilize. This?Valentine’s, why not tell your friends how much you love them, – la Galentine’s Day in the TV show Parks & Recreation? Stencilize have created a textured origami card design just for this purpose: Best Friends Card, €3.50.
7. PaperBear.?Handmade and wholly adorable. We’d love to receive this endearing “I Whaley Like You” design on Valentine’s, ?2.75 on Etsy.
8. Lainey K. Fresh from launching?her quirky cards and wall art at Showcase Ireland in January, Elaine Kellegher has a charming?stock of lovingly designed Valentine’s Day specials. This one is €3.
9. The Pear in Paper.?The Pear in Paper make eco-friendly stationery in Donegal. This lovely?lino print?greeting card comes on 350gsm heavy-weight card certified by the?Forest Stewardship Council, (?3.69).
10. Kerry Lyons. Birmingham-based?Kerry Lyons’ minimalist greeting cards are sweetly sentimental but without the usual OTT Valentine’s fuss. However, the paper is made from?by-products of citrus, coffee, kiwis, hazelnuts and almonds, so a fruity scent isn’t out of the question (?3.25, around €4.25).?
11. Karen Flannery Art. This patriotic design?bravely takes on the task of making crisp sandwiches romantic, and we like that it features a hand-drawn illustration, (?3.30).
12. Paperchase.?Funny how this keeps coming back to food, isn’t it? A Good Egg card for your boyfriend will set you back €3 at Paperchase.
13. Ruby Peg. According to?Marcel Danesi – an authority on the history of the kiss ??X’s and O’s have been?universal symbols for hugs and kisses since medieval times, when?official letters were customarily signed with an X and a physical kiss. Heartful hand-printed letterpress card, (?3.25).
14. Designist. Leave your message in the comment box when you order online and?Designist will post an emotional message like this one‘directly to your Valentine?for you, (?3.50).
What’s seldom is truly wonderful, writes Amanda Cassidy Dublin Zoo...
We are used to celebrities oversharing their lives. But sharing...
The documentary Miss Americana has shown a different side to...
The Love Island presenter has divided social media after she...
Holograms of the children she may never have dance across Dearbhla Crosses' mind as an MS diagnosis and Covid-19 are unwelcome reminders of her biological clock ticking.
“Every baby costs you a book” – that’s something women...