Covid update: 217 new cases, class sent home from Dublin school
01st Sep 2020
A further 217 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed on Tuesday evening by the Department of Health
While the case jump is significant in that its the highest since May, it’s important to note that officials from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) also reported no further deaths from the virus.
Despite the increase, acting chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn said the five-day moving average remained “relatively stable at 115 cases per day.”
Dr @ronan_glynn Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “While the number of cases today is the highest daily reported figure since May, the five day moving average remains relatively stable at 115 cases per day.”#COVID19
— Department of Health (@roinnslainte) September 1, 2020
“However, this is still a substantial number of cases and I urge everyone to double down on their efforts now – wash hands regularly, physically distance from others, wear face coverings where appropriate, avoid crowded areas, know the symptoms, isolate and contact your GP if you have any concerns.”
Also on Tuesday evening, it was reported that a class in a Dublin school had been sent home following a positive test for Covid-19.
The principal of the Dublin primary school confirmed the case earlier today on RTÉ’s Today with Claire Byrne show.
All students in the class have been sent home as a precautionary measure in line with current public health guidance.
The principal of the school added that the child did not contract the virus in the school.
Confirmation from a Dublin primary school principal that a child has tested positive for Covid 19 and that the class has been sent home. The pupil did not contract the virus in school #TodayCB
— Today with Claire Byrne (@TodaywithClaire) September 1, 2020
Meanwhile, Health Minister Stephen Donnelly announced his plans for the winter period.
Plans to reduce stress on the country’s healthcare service during the winter include an expanded flu vaccination programme set to roll out in the autumn, with all at-risk groups – including healthcare workers – having free access to the vaccination.
Vaccines for children aged from two to 12 years old will also be administered free of charge from the end of October in the form of nasal drops rather than an injection, and are unaffected by the other vaccine delay as they are arriving from a different manufacturer.
The programme hopes to prevent spikes of Covid-19 and the flu occurring at the same time.
“The health service is entering a challenging winter period, in the midst of a global pandemic. It’s important that we make every effort collectively to limit the impact on the health service over the coming months,” he said.
Read more: Coronavirus Diaries: 32-weeks pregnant during a pandemic
Read more: Unsung Heroes: the forgotten frontline workers we want to recognise
Read more: How are the kids feeling? We hear from three different families across Ireland
Mack, who played a key role in the cult-like group NXIVM, was sentenced to three years in prison Wednesday on...
Baby Lilibet ‘Lili’ Diana Mountbatten-Windsor was born on Friday, June 4 over in California.Prince Harry and Meghan Markle welcomed their...
Both US Paralympians and Olympians competing at Tokyo 2020 will get equal prize money pay for the first time ever....
Stuck in a career rut? Let our career coach Sinead Brady help with a members-exclusive coaching session. The IMAGE...
Despite some media coverage, the beds are actually focused on sustainability as opposed to intimacy restrictions. Recently, distance runner Paul...
In a move that is a distinct step away from his royal upbringing, the Duke of Sussex will share “mistakes...
We caught up with some past Businesswoman of the Year winners to find out what it takes to succeed. Here,...