Here are all the Irish spots nominated at the World Travel Awards this year
17th Jun 2021
The World Travel Awards has released their 2021 list of nominees and several Irish spots impressed.
Ireland featured heavily on the World Travel Awards list of nominees this year with various hotels and tourist attractions across the country all getting a shout out for the exemplary levels of service they provide.
While the World Travel Awards are an annual event, this year’s ceremony holds extra weight, particularly against the backdrop of the pandemic. An unquestionably difficult year for the tourism industry, very few managed to emerge unscathed by the past few months.
Usually relying on a huge influx of international tourists to keep them afloat, this year (and last) saw many businesses turn to domestic tourists instead. Adapting their systems in line with public health measures, the industry continued to cater to visitors in a way that was both safe and enjoyable for all.
Wanting to recognise the standout efforts of tourist businesses and attractions across the world, the World Travel Awards released their 2021 list of nominees and several of the country’s top spots were mentioned. Covering a huge range of different categories, the extensive list serves to “acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the global travel and tourism industry”.
Already with a reputation that precedes us when it comes to giving visitors that famous Irish welcome we’re so known for, both Spike Island in Cork and EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum in Dublin are in the running to be Europe’s leading tourist attraction. Not the first time either destination has been nominated for the award, Spike Island featured as a finalist in 2017 and 2018 while EPIC is hoping this will be their third consecutive win.
Other spots to impress with their contributions to the industry range from Hotel Doolin (nominated as one of Europe’s leading green hotels), to Ashford Castle (nominated as one of Europe’s leading honeymoon resorts) and The Marker Hotel (nominated as one of Europe’s leading new hotels).
Also recognising the country’s impressive drinks tourism industry, not one, not two, but three Irish distilleries have been listed as frontrunners in the leading distillery tour category. Competing against the likes of the Château de Cognac in France and The Glenfiddich Distillery in Scotland, we’re hoping that either the Jameson Distillery at Bow Street, the Old Bushmills Distillery in Northern Ireland or the Teeling Whiskey Distillery will bring home the gold this year.
You can peruse the full list of nominees and vote for all your Irish favourites here.
World Travel Awards 2021 Irish nominees
- Europe’s Leading Tourist Attraction – EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum & Spike Island
- Europe’s Leading City Break Destination – Dublin, Ireland & Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Festival & Event Destination 2021 – Dublin, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2021 – The Convention Centre
- Europe’s Leading Distillery Tour 2021– Jameson Distillery Bow St, Dublin & Old Bushmills Distillery, Northern Ireland & Teeling Whiskey Distillery, Ireland & Tullamore D.E.W. Visitor Centre, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Adventure Tourism Destination 2021– Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Destination 2021 – Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Emerging Tourism Destination 2021– Derry, Northern Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Tourist Board 2021 – Fáilte Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Green Hotel 2021 – Hotel Doolin, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Honeymoon Resort 2021 – Ashford Castle, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Hotel 2021 – Adare Manor, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading Island Resort 2021 – Inchdyoney Island Lodge & Spa, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading New Hotel 2021 – The Marker Hotel, Ireland
- Europe’s Leading low-Cost Airline 2021 – Aer Lingus & Ryanair
Amanda Kavanagh heads to Co Down to sample the fresh cucumber and apple flavours of Rooney Fish’s Millbay Oysters. Covid...
This former Georgian pharmacy overlooking the Irish Sea has been revived as the sweetest staycation spot
Overlooking the bay in the middle of Donaghadee town is boutique B&B, One Shore Street. Beautifully restored and perfectly snug,...
The actress – who will play Anderson in Pam & Tommy – revealed her new look on Instagram over the...
Extra chewing gum vibes off Harry Style’s ‘Watermelon Sugar’ in their post-Covid ad dedicated to touching
Extra have just released a new chewing gum ad of a post-pandemic (and turned-on) world and it’s safe to say,...
Despite the tumultuous year in the royal family, both Prince Harry and Prince William will honour their mother in a...
The news we didn’t know we needed today, the original cast from our favourite Halloween movie (possibly ever) will return...
She also hit back at her sister and “so-called support system” in a new Instagram post explaining why she’s on...