BBQ it yourself: shrimp ‘n’ grits with chilli lime butter sauce recipe
29th May 2020
It looks like it’s going to be a while until we get to order our favourite dishes from Ireland’s finest restaurants. So why not light up the barbecue and enjoy some fine dining in the comfort of your own back yard? In partnership with Kerrygold, we’re bringing you a satisfying shrimps ‘n’ grits recipe from outdoor cooking king Ian Marconi, of Jackrabbit Eats. Try this zingy seafood sensation for yourself.
Chef’s tip: Light up the barbecue approximately one hour before grilling, this will ensure your barbeque is nice and hot and that all of the black smoke is burnt off before grilling.
- 12 king-sized shrimps (in their shells)
- 2 punnets of baby corn
- 5g olive oil
For the chilli lime butter sauce
- 200g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 fresh red chillis (sliced)
- 4 scallions (sliced)
- 50g fresh coriander (finely sliced)
- 4 pickled red or green jalapenos (sliced)
- 3 fresh limes (juiced)
For the polenta
- 250g polenta
- 400ml coconut milk
- 600ml water
- 50g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- Salt and pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Grated lime zest
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
Scroll down for video
For the chilli lime butter Sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a pan, ensure that the pan you use will be large enough to toss the shrimp and corn in at a later stage, once they are cooked through on the barbeque.
2. Once the butter is melted, add in the fresh chilli, scallions, fresh coriander and pickled jalapenos, allow this to cook for 2-3 minutes then squeeze in the lime juice.
For the grits
1. Heat the coconut milk and water in a pot until it starts to simmer.
2. Slowly add in the polenta, whisking continuously to prevent any lumps.
3. When the polenta is smooth, add in the butter and whisk again.
4. Season with salt then take off the heat, cover and leave aside while you barbeque the shrimp.
5. You will need to re heat and possibly add more liquid before serving, as it may start to solidify if left for a while.
For the shrimp
1. Coat the shrimp and corn lightly in olive oil before placing onto the hot barbeque.
2. Cook the shrimp for around 5 minutes per side until nicely charred but still nice and juicy.
3. The corn just needs to be well coloured to give a smoky popcorn flavour with the finishing butter sauce.
1. Check your grits and add more hot water while whisking to bring them back to life if necessary, season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the cooked prawns and corn to the butter sauce and stir gently to coat, you can very gently press the heads of the prawns with a spoon to release the juices for an amazing seafood flavour in your sauce.
3. Spoon the grits onto the plate, top with prawns and corn and spoon over the Kerrygold chilli lime butter sauce, drizzle with hot sauce and finish with grated lime zest, lime wedges and toasted sesame seeds, if you so desire.
View this post on Instagram
Get ready for a summer sensation, this recipe for BBQ Shrimp ‘n’ Grits with Chilli Lime Butter from chef Ian Marconi @jackrabbiteats is packed with bright, zingy flavours and a cinch to cook on the barbecue. Ian’s got the full how-to video ready for you here and you can find the full recipe over on our website https://kerrygold.com/ie/recipes/bbq-shrimp-and-grits/ Happy Grilling! . . . . . #homecooking #irelandlockdown #cookalong #kerrygold #butter #grassfed #instafood #foodie #kerrygoldbutter #grassfedbutter #healthyliving #realfood #ireland #recipe #instafood #cooking #delicious #healthy #homemade #recipes #foodlover #sweet #foodpics #BBQ #irishfood
Kerrygold’s new #AtHomeWithKerrygold series enlists the help of their favourite kitchen experts who have shared tried and tested recipes for you to make at home. From impressive brunch recipes, to date night hits and ideas on what to bake with kids there is something for everyone! Follow @KerrygoldIRL on Instagram for easy-to-follow video tutorials on each recipe.
Click here to view all of the recipes.
While the dawn of the Netflix era has been great...
Ring in the New Year (and bid a welcome adieu...
Paul Mescal fans, this one is for you… A 14-minute...
It goes without saying that most of us have had...
It was on this day, January 17th, 1998, when news...
Artistic dynamo Aoibheann MacNamara has loved every moment she’s spent...
These days, it’s easier than ever to give something back....
What I Spend at Christmas: The 37-year-old digital marketer earning €25k who isn’t buying presents for her siblings
Christmas cost the average Irish family €2,700 over the festive...